Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Baiting Vs. Food Plots" >

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
baiting is wrong and so are food plots
3.23%
food plots are ok but baiting is wrong
30.65%
i think they should both be legal
66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

"Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Old 12-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Hey Bruce,
Just because we’re both hunters, doesn’t mean we took some kind of oath, or are on the same team…

More people should go study what artificial food sources do to wildlife before forming an opinion. Long story short – it’s not a good idea. It does nothing good for the herd, unless you think giving them the false sense that it is okay to procreate given this new food source is okay, but it isn’t. People like to bait because they’ll see more deer, but they don’t think about the big picture, I guess you could say it is selfish. But since I’m a hunter I should probably just agree with you, right?
Funny, I thought the state DNR was looking at the big picture and setting the rules accordingly and that is why you can bait in some states and can't in others. A food plot is just as much an artificial food source as bait as it wouldn't be there without the help of man. Same with ag fields. So if you are going to talk about artificial food sources for wildlife you will need to include those.

You don't need to agree with me but I think the last thing hunters should be doing is denigrating other legal hunting methods. You want to be a real man and run around naked, smelling like deer piss to kill your animals, more power to you. I won't denigrate your hunting method because I am glad you are hunting. I don't bait or hunt over food plots or ag fields but I am glad those options are available for those hunters that want to use them. Not everyone bowhunts but I sure hope they don't want to limit bowhunting. Ooops, I guess there are those that think bowhunting sucks - look here Archery threatened in Montana

Thats what we get when we start saying legal methods of hunting suck .
Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

When you carry that bag of corn into the woods, tear it open and turn it over, all you've dumped out is an announcement. It says, very clearly; "I can't hunt very well".
KP
That's whatthe outside of my bag says.

And by the way, your statement is pure ignorance.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, you guys should go read up on the “life cycle”, and you should probably pay close attention to what happens following “the balance phase” of the cycle. This is where it gets ugly, and disease lifts its ugly head. The disease is brought on by a weakened immune system from a lack of food for the population, or the population has gone over and above the carrying capacity of the land. Bait, in a given area, is a false food source, but hey, if its legal, who am I to judge it. Sorry, but I’d prefer to remain a thinking person. I’ll think on my own and I’ll say what I think is right, even if it doesn’t support my goals as a hunter.
Hunting departments, philosophies or management systems are based on the good of the herd, for the most part. If you want to assist in helping the herd be strong and healthy, perhaps you should read and think before simply throwing out an ignorant statement that supports a weak argument based on the sole goal of getting you or any hunter more opportunities at the killing of a deer.

That is where the “bow” only thing came in. All I hear on here is crap about how “challenging” bow hunting is. And it is, but lets not act like throwing a pile of corn on the ground doesn’t take something away form the whole experience or story.

“There he was, like a ghost of the forest, big and heavy antlers, scared from battle. He looked so demanding of respect in the light fog of the morning, a truly majestic scene on natures stage. I took aim and he stuck his head down into my pile of bait…”

Can you see where I’m coming from?

Let me guess… now I’m an anti, right?

Germ, lets not turn this into a situation where I either have to agree or disagree that your grandfather sucks, okay?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bait, in a given area, is a false food source, but hey, if its legal, who am I to judge it.
Are not food plots and ag fields false food sources in that they are only there if man plants them same as if bait is only there if man puts it down?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Killer you said Baiting = sucks, not me

There is a huge differnce putting out a bucket of bait, compared to a pile or feeders. With baiting less is more, and I doubt a 2 gallon pile of corn is going to ruin the eco system of deer Feeding year around with large quanties I will agree.

For the record my family has baited for over 20 years in Northen MI. We have shot 0 mature bucks killed over bait, LOL
My cousin has 2 gun kills(he is one hell of a hunter) and two others with a bow by the best looking hunter in our family.

A lot of people have idea of how bait works, well they don't know. We in MI cannot bait until Oct 1st and must stop Jan 1st. The hardest months for whitetails are Jan, Feb and there is no bait or feeding allowed. Bait in MI is for killing deer period. Look at success rates for hunters in MI, baiting does not make it easier to kill a deer. To see deer, maybe, I have had more luckhunting funnels and oak flats myself.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bruce,
Okay, I see where you’re going with this, but really, it isn’t that simple, but your mistake is. By posing that question you’re implying that there can only be one answer, when really this is way too dynamic a subject for one answer.

Your question in logic is called Plurium Interrogationum, or Fallacy of many questions or Fallacy of a loaded question. It is a form of rhetoric used to support an argument that is not worthy by use of trickery. You see, your questions have conflicting answers but you asked them all within one question. Now, if I answer, simply “yes” or “no”, I’ll be both right, and wrong. How about asking each one individually, and I’ll be more than happy to answer each one.

Did you study law?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bruce,
Okay, I see where you’re going with this, but really, it isn’t that simple, but your mistake is. By posing that question you’re implying that there can only be one answer, when really this is way too dynamic a subject for one answer.

Your question in logic is called Plurium Interrogationum, or Fallacy of many questions or Fallacy of a loaded question. It is a form of rhetoric used to support an argument that is not worthy by use of trickery. You see, your questions have conflicting answers but you asked them all within one question. Now, if I answer, simply “yes” or “no”, I’ll be both right, and wrong. How about asking each one individually, and I’ll be more than happy to answer each one.

Did you study law?
Bruce just enjoys arguing about anything and everything!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Bruce,

Did you study law?
Bruce just enjoys arguing about anything and everything!
Well so does KP so this will be fun!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lmao!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Killer you said Baiting = sucks, not me

There is a huge differnce putting out a bucket of bait, compared to a pile or feeders. With baiting less is more, and I doubt a 2 gallon pile of corn is going to ruin the eco system of deer Feeding year around with large quanties I will agree.

For the record my family has baited for over 20 years in Northen MI. We have shot 0 mature bucks killed over bait, LOL
My cousin has 2 gun kills(he is one hell of a hunter) and two others with a bow by the best looking hunter in our family.

A lot of people have idea of how bait works, well they don't know. We in MI cannot bait until Oct 1st and must stop Jan 1st. The hardest months for whitetails are Jan, Feb and there is no bait or feeding allowed. Bait in MI is for killing deer period. Look at success rates for hunters in MI, baiting does not make it easier to kill a deer. To see deer, maybe, I have had more luckhunting funnels and oak flats myself.
Germ,
Come on man, you’re really going to have to do better than that, and you’re forcing me into a corner where we won’t be able to get back to where we were before we started.

Your first statements takes me back to a little similar situation where someone explains that if everyone were to only litter once a day the world would be full of trash… So neither you, or I have any idea how much bait is being dispensed in these small amounts spread out over time and space.

Your second statement makes no sense to me. Just because your family hasn’t shot a buck, doesn’t really mean crap! Did he ever show up? Did they not see him? Are there no big bucks around? Did they add to a bigger problem without knowing it? That statement holds no value, sorry.

Your third statement also makes no sense. I could be wrong, but I think seeing a deer is a huge help when you’re trying to kill them, but who knows, that’s just how I think! And finally, if it doesn’t work; why do it? It does work man, if it didn’t, no one would do it.

Quick Reply: "Baiting Vs. Food Plots"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.