Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Doe!  :( >

My First Doe! :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Doe! :(

Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default My First Doe! :(

Well I just stuck my first doe with a bow at 4:45. However, I feel terrible because I shot it in the spine.

Well it and a fawn were sitting in front of me eating a little corn for a good 20 minutes, but she wouldn't get broadside. Then when she finally walked away, she walked to my left, broadside the whole time. Well she got through my shooting land but i couldn't draw on it. I got lucky because she turned around and stood broadside in the clearing 20 yards away, so I quick drew back, put he pin on the lungs and let 'er rip. She droped right away.

I feel really bad because I shouldn't have taken the shot right away. But I felt good about it, and I know I had the pin where it needed to be. Luckly I got another arrow in it. It was rolling around on its side trying to get away. I waited until it kind of uprighted itself and it went in high and a little back, it came out the middle of the other side. i think i must have got a little lung, liver, or at least diaphram. it sounding like it was gergling blood and i left because I didn't want to watch it die (or suffer).

and now im doubting myself and thinking about i shouldn't have shot and I should have practiced more. I really dont want to have to slit it's throat. i know two people thatno longer deer hunt for this reason.

sorry for posting this but how long do you think i should wait?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Doe! :(

Dude you should have finished that deer right then and there. Stuff happens i wouldnt doubt the shot as i would wether or not you should have left, i would NEVER let one suffer, get back out there and finish her.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

the same thing happened to me on monday but i ran up to her and put an arrow in her head. it is sad, but it happens. nobody is perfect. just practice and remember to hold your breath when aiming and all the other good stuff. but if i were you i would not have left her there like that. you have to finish her off.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Send a second arrow, or even a third or 4th if necessary. Once you have an arrow in a deer, do everything to finish it quickly. ! Would you have shot a single gun shot and then walked away?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Go back right now and finish what you started and never leave an animal like that again. If it is down and suffering its your job to finish it off or dont go hunting any more!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

like i mentioned about my spinal shot deer. i hit the vitals but also the spine. i had to run up to her and put 2 more arrows in her. whenever i take a friend out to hunt and they hit an animal and wont finish it off i wont bring them again. i find it to be very very inhumane and irresponsible. you really need to rethink hunting if you are afraid to go up close to it or get dirty and bloody
Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I think my second shot got it done but im just worried. ill get right back out there. sorry.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you hit her in the vitals she should have died within 30 seconds and if it was only 1 lung maybe a few minuites and you would be able to tell that you need another arrow. but see now that you are getting all this criticism this will stuck in your head for next time this happens. but i sure hope there wont be a next time. sry but i have to vent myself on this one
Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

yea well i half expected the criticism

Ok well its a few minutes from my house. I only had two broadheads and i didn't have a knife on me (shame on me)

What I thought was it would be better to let it die without me walking right up to it and scaring the $#!~ outta it. I saw the second shot was lethal, i saw the entrance and exit of the second arrow and the blood, and I heared the gergling, then i walked back to my house, which is when i started doubting myself.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

well please keep up posted. i just hate to hear about animals suffering. it is one of the worst things to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.