Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Doe!  :( >

My First Doe! :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Doe! :(

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My First Doe! :(

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

Go back right now and finish what you started and never leave an animal like that again. If it is down and suffering its your job to finish it off or dont go hunting any more!!!

You should listen to yourself because maybe it's you that shouldn't go anymore. We all make mistakes and to rip on him certainly doesn't help.

Congrats on the doe and don't listen to people like this!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

why did he only have two arrows i said something about haveing four hunting arrows and you guys jumped all over me for not having atleast 6
ORIGINAL: statjunk

That's why you approach from the back. You don't treat them like a teddy bear. I also agree use arrows but he only had two. I'd give it a minute or two but I'd go down there and do what's right. It sucks, but it's the right thing to do.

No hunting isn't for everyone. Sometimes you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. I've never slit a throat before but I've held down two deer while it was being done.

Tom
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

why did he only have two arrows i said something about haveing four hunting arrows and you guys jumped all over me for not having atleast 6
Leave it be Tim! He's a young kid, enough said already!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

That's why you approach from the back. You don't treat them like a teddy bear. I also agree use arrows but he only had two. I'd give it a minute or two but I'd go down there and do what's right. It sucks, but it's the right thing to do.

No hunting isn't for everyone. Sometimes you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. I've never slit a throat before but I've held down two deer while it was being done.

Tom
Once again bigtim read the entire post before you bash someone..... get a grip!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Congrats on the doe. Sucks that it went down the way it did. Hopefully next time you'll put yourself in the deer's hoofs and slit it's throat to put it out of it's misery.

You'll be eating good soon.

Tom
Slitting a live deers throat is about as good away as any of going to the emergency room. Just a few years ago a good friend of minewho is a very expericenced hunter and outdoorsman slit a buck throat he had down. The deer started kicking and thrashing around anyway he cut his hand very badly and was laided up quite awhile. If I were out of arrows and needed to finish it a better choice in my opion is trying to remove one of your shot arrows and using it again. Putting a deer out of its misery is one thing being stupid is another.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the doe, badger109. I've spined a bunch of them with bow and gun, obviously not on purpose, and always get a mixed feeling. It sucks I spined them but at least I know I won't lose them. I absolutely do not like walking up on a spined deer. Something undignified and undeserving. But it goes with the territory. I just try to make it as quick as possible. I suppose what separates us from the other animals is we do have compassion for our prey. We've all watched the animal shows where lions will be half way through a buffalo and its still kicking. Mother nature knows no compassion. I am not critisizing you at all. I would just recommend staying till the end next time. I'm sure you've figured that out. And I would not recommend slitting its throat should the occasion present itself again. No since it both of you being injured. I've done it to does and their hooves can be pretty dangerous and throw in you holding a knife. I never even considered slitting a buck. That's just my thoughts, anyway. Congrats again.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

No disrespect to anyone, but to the guys that say sit there until the end, what does this prove??? What is the difference if I walk back to my truck and put my gear away and get my cleaning pack and go back and drag the deer out??? What is the point in sitting there watching the deer Die???
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the doe Badger.

I have a suggestion for anyone who has to finish a deer with a knife. DON'T go for the throat! It is far too hard to hit the carotid artery because it is protected pretty well by the spine. If too easy to get injured while the deer freaks out as you try to get the knife all the way in to the artery. Instead, simply stab quickly once on each side of the ribs and get the same effect as a double lung shot. (in your case, you simply needed to get the one ontouched lung) The lungs quickly collapse and the deer expires in less than 60 seconds. Much safer and cleaner than digging the knife around the throat for that artery.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the Kill badger109. Everyone makes mistakes so just learn and move on.We should kill an animal as quickly as possible, but God made animals for us to makeuse of, not worship.

Congrats again!! You did good for a young guy

Dan
Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

No disrespect to anyone, but to the guys that say sit there until the end, what does this prove??? What is the difference if I walk back to my truck and put my gear away and get my cleaning pack and go back and drag the deer out??? What is the point in sitting there watching the deer Die???
BHF, you are right, sir. I retract my statement. I have always stayed til the end but that doesn't mean its right or wrong. Nothing wrong IMO to leave. Thanks for the heads up.

aero

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.