Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First Doe!  :( >

My First Doe! :(

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First Doe! :(

Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Doe! :(

Congrats on the doe. Sucks that it went down the way it did. Hopefully next time you'll put yourself in the deer's hoofs and slit it's throat to put it out of it's misery.

You'll be eating good soon.

Tom
Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: badger109

Thanks everyone even for the criticism. I know now I should have goten right down there, or came right back out. That's the last time i'll ever carry two broadheads in my quiver (I had a field point and a judo point), and hopefully in the future I'll have a chance to draw and I wont get too excited. but it was shot in the spine and wasn't getting up, i felt I had made a good second shot, and didn't have another broadhead so I thought the best thing to do was let it die on its own. i was just really doubting myself though.

its a really big doe btw. ill have to get some pics.
badger .... congrats, BRO!!!! You seemed to do everything right to me .... second shot in the kill area ... great job!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Congrats on the doe. Sucks that it went down the way it did. Hopefully next time you'll put yourself in the deer's hoofs and slit it's throat to put it out of it's misery.

Tom
Tom, he put a second arrow in the kill zone .... slitting it's throat is unecessary, and not for everyone ...
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Tom
Tom, he put a second arrow in the kill zone .... slitting it's throat is unecessary, and not for everyone ...
Hunting isn't for everyone.

Tom
Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spine shooting a deer just plain sucks and is always ugly!! If it doesn't leave a slightly bad taste in your mouth than a bit of animal respect is missing.
I shot three EXTRA arrows at a spine shot deer just to kill it. Something about getting arrowed makes their adreniline pump.
I also in a brief moment of bravado cut the throat of a medium doe for a bud and want you to know it is not always easy even if you hit a sweet spot and is also dangerous. Having to shank such a cool beast was a major drag.. Reminds me of having to shoot the farms dog when I was a kid for worrying the sheep.. Come on Blacky. lets take a walk.

I see a lesson learned with a minimal amount of lashes. Nice job and glad she was where you let her.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

Tom
Hunting isn't for everyone.

Tom
slicing their throat is not hunting and unecessary ..... think if someone didn.t do that right ........
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ALSO PERFER another arrow and hope i never have to pull the knife either
ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

I have never been a fan of the knife in the throat. Hundred deer under my belt in 20 years and never have I pulled the knife. It does not work for me....that's where I lose control..just to up close and personal for me....I prefer just another arrow.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tom
Not a good idea, the deer's hoof might slit your throat! But go for it!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why you approach from the back. You don't treat them like a teddy bear. I also agree use arrows but he only had two. I'd give it a minute or two but I'd go down there and do what's right. It sucks, but it's the right thing to do.

No hunting isn't for everyone. Sometimes you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. I've never slit a throat before but I've held down two deer while it was being done.

Tom
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's why you approach from the back. You don't treat them like a teddy bear. I also agree use arrows but he only had two. I'd give it a minute or two but I'd go down there and do what's right. It sucks, but it's the right thing to do.

No hunting isn't for everyone. Sometimes you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. I've never slit a throat before but I've held down two deer while it was being done.

Tom
I've heard of fawns feet going through a chest of a person when they kick! If this was an adult it may be different, read the whole thread! He's a young kid, he did the best thing possible and that was leave the deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.