Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever been outdone by a beginner? >

Have you ever been outdone by a beginner?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever been outdone by a beginner?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Have you ever been outdone by a beginner?

Last year my brother who is 26 took up archery. He went to 3d shoots over the summer and at the start missed so much and broke so many arrows he only had 1 arrow to finish at one point. At the end of the summer he was almost whooping my butt on the 3d course. I'm talking like scores from 150 to over 300 in one summer on a 40 target course.

Then after only hunting one time last year bowhunting and not seeing anything but turkey took an 11 pointer on opening day of rifle season. Not huge but scores around 110". That is two days of hunting and not even full days and he already scored a bigger deer than i have in my 11 years of hunting.

Then this season he shot a button buck with his bow, shot a doe during rifle season, and took another doe during a managed doe hunt.

My question is has anyone else been outdone by a beginner? I am extremely happy for his accomplishments, but just want to see if others have experienced situations like this?
Old 12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Have you ever been outdone by a beginner?

Yeah, GMMAT! After finishing his third season he's taken two bucks that score better than my best after 26 seasons. I have to stop shooting broken racks!

He's got a long way to go to whip me on a 3D course. Right Jeff.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 PM

Yep. My son. The very first day he ever went deer hunting, he nails a 5 pointer......good grief.....

Then, as if that weren't enough.....the following spring he and I are turkey hunting. We walk into the woods at 12:30,and he's got a big ole red headed gobbla on the ground, deader than a bag o' hammers, at 12:41......I seriously thought about giving up hunting alltogether.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have not had this happen to me..but you can say i have done this to my family......they got me into deer hunting (dad, cousin, and grandpa)...3rd year in took first deer with rifle...then 2 years later took the biggest (point wise) deer my family has EVER taken where we hunt on public land in CA...and they have been hunting there for 48 years this past year....crazy.....took up archery and the first year up there i take two on the same day within about 3 minutes of each other......i am a lucky person to have a family that still invites me to go hunting
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM

That kinda sounds like what i have done to my dad. My dad has been turkey hunting for 15+ years and never took a gobbler and my first year i killed a jake and then two seasons ago i got an 11-1/2" bearded gobbler that i doubled with my best friend and I shot a 9-1/2" bird at college the same year!

Bowhunting wise i have killed 5 and my dad has taken 2. I too am a really lucky person.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 AM

Yes, but I figure beginners luck. I am sure everyone has heard the saying even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in while.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

He's got a long way to go to whip me on a 3D course. Right Jeff.
No comment. (But I'm working on it!)

I live in a target rich environment....as far as does are concerned. My kill numbers reflect that in my short time hunting these animals. But...."outdone" someone (or vice-versa)? Nope. I don't know anyone who has more fun at this (or gets more enjoyment)than I do.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love being outdone by beginners! It adds to the gene pool!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, my wife started hunting deer with me last year and during shotgun season I put her in my "bowstand" show she could have close shots.. Well two years in a row now she has killed nice 8 pointers while I have taken mostly does.. I say good for the beginners, she is hooked for a lifetime...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

No,but I would welcome it! The old axiom would you rather be lucky than good? I am happy for anyone's success who has gone about it in the right way!

Quick Reply: Have you ever been outdone by a beginner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.