Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Permanent Treestands >

Permanent Treestands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Permanent Treestands

Old 01-29-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Permanent Treestands

I was thinking of building a couple permanent wooden treestands this year. I was wondering if i built one would the big bucks move out of the area? The area is where pine trees meet up with hardwood trees, it is on the bottom of two ridges, and there is a creek running through the area. There are big rubs from last year there and i didnt hear of anyone shooting the bucks so i believe there still there, but i dont wanna scare them off. So should i build the stands or not?
Old 01-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Permanent Treestands

I dont think you will scare them off, but you may want to re-think your strategy. IMO i think you are better off staying portable. If a deer changes its travel pattern even the slightest, your permanent stand may be in the wrong spot for a long time.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would agree with other posts as well as throughing in that I have yet to be in a permanent stand that is totally silent. Especially in cold weather. For gun season it maybe OK, but I don't like them for archery.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I vote portable for all the above reasons. Well that was easy.
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a couple that we built close to some old deer trails and they have been very good for a couple of the guys who can't walk around much .They have been there so long that the deer don't pay any attention to them .They might shy away at first so the sooner you get them up the more time they will have to adjust to them .
Old 01-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2003, 06:41 AM

I agree with the others too. Having the option to be mobile bagged me my buck this year. Gotta love the ladder stands. I think a lot of new people have a misconception about ladder stands. You can literally take it down and move it to a new location in under a half hour. Permanent stands are usually nice and cozy and a great place to tell war stories, but I'd rather have the option.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.