Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shot a deer with very little blood trail (long) >

shot a deer with very little blood trail (long)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot a deer with very little blood trail (long)

Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Default RE: shot a deer with very little blood trail (long)

Congrats, way to go.

I normally shoot alittle higher than optimum, because a few of the deer I've hit and lost have been hit too low. I've also missed low too many times.

I've recovered several deer that left no discernible blood trail. Believe it or not, three of them were pass through shots, and all three deer died within 150 yards. I have an explanation for one: the arrow for some reason deflected back (was a broadside shot), exited low behind rib cage, exit wound plugged with entrails. I never found the arrow, and found one spot of blood ona tree about 30 yards from the hit. I recovered the deer, just simply found it laying dead at 150 yards. I looked hard for that arrow, followed the deer's path many times, no blood but for that one spot.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shot a deer with very little blood trail (long)

Hi all,

First thanks for all the comments, really appreciate your thoughts.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any pics, I forgot to bring my camera back out the second time, and by the end of it I was just too tiredand it was late to go back out again, at the very least I should have clicked a shot of the deer, but nothing. I really would have liked to click pics of the whole thing because it would have been a good thing to show my son when he gets older about how little a deer can bleed, but still be dead at the end.

Lastly I was using Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade fixed, on aluminum arrows. I remember feeling quite a few bone fragments inside when searching for the broadhead. Somehow the arrow got stopped in the opposite shoulder bone area is my best guess.

Thanks again for your opinions, means a lot,