Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids? >

Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

I'm going to buy one as soon as I find a reasonable price. I'm looking for a "sensation" or a "Just B Cuz" (trigger).

Do most of you guys who hunt (but shoot 3D also) use a trigger type or BT?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

I think you know this Jeff, but I picked up my Just Cuz off e-bay for a STEAL!!

(True story... Matt thought I should have sent the guy I bought it from some money back because I got such a good deal from him! [8D])
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM

I'd go with the trigger type, Jeff. You can easily shoot them using BT as well as just applying pressure normally. Pure BT releases are a pain in the butt (for me) to use, but I can shoot the others usuing BT just fine.

Go figure.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres waht ebay has right now,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carter-Just-B-Cuz-Release-w-ITS_W0QQitemZ220175065393QQihZ012QQcategoryZ20841Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638 .m118

thats actually a little high i think because this site has them for 149.
http://shop.eaglearchery.com/browse.cfm/4,7651.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

To say I am moreconsistently precisewith a hand held "Thumb trigger" style release vs an index release would be an understatement. It's very hard to short circuit the brain and the index finger and to keep yourself from mashing the trigger when the pin is where you want it. Oh it can be done but it takes a lot more discipline than Ipossess.
The problem with shooting the thumb trigger for hunting is that sometimes yo NEED to just pull the trigger and don't have time to squeeze the shoulders, and pull through and all that technical target shooting jazz........most times pin on the target and FIRE!! works just fine.
I suppose you can learn to beat the trigger on a thumb style if you need to shoot in a hurry but that's defeating the purpose of the thing in the first place. Those heavy double sear style releasesare easy to "Yank" off target , same as the index double sear styles like the Carter "One Shot" ..........
For hunting I like a soft feeling single sear release that doesn't resist or hesitate when it gets PULLED, because we all just pull the trigger at the moment of truth. If you have to shoot quick for the most part they stay on target when hit pretty hard.

I could be a little more precise with a thumb trigger hunting for sure, but when it comes down to stopping a deer in small shooting lanes and then having to shoot quickly or the opportunity is gone, fumbling through a shot progression with athumb trigger or dealing with a heavy no travel trigger might not be the best choice.
I kick around the idea of hunting with mine every year and keep resisting because I weigh the possibilities.

If the dumb thing stands there like a postcard and gives me time to settle in with a thumb trigger release and pull off the shot I don't care how far away he is , he's in deep trouble. However my luck dictates that they NEVER stand still for more than a second, if at all, they stop in little openings or are jumpy as hell so I like the one I can shoot fast and still make them dead enough .

I can tell you already that for our WY antelope trip I WILL be using my thumb trigger and a hot rodded 3D style set up most likely because they DO many times stand there and you have a little more time to think about yardage and actually aim. Treestand deer hunting?........I'll consider it like I do every year but will probably pass yet again.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer to buy them from individual sellers, and not dealers with e-bay stores... Mine doesn't have a scratch on it, and I think my winning bid was like $71... What REALLY made the deal sweet was the guy sent my release to the wrong person, had to get it back from him, and then re-mail it to me. He felt horrible about it and threw in $25 extra when he mailed it to me!

If you didn't know, you can set up a wizard to go out and search for the name "Carter" every day for you and send you an e-mail notifying you of new offerings as soon as they're put up for auction.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Bartender

Greg thanks for the heads up on that wizard.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

MAtt:

I'll only be shooting this release during the target season. I'll still hunt with my Scott Mongoose. Like you though....I may have the thumb release in the blind (maybe for turkeys, too?????)

I'm only interested in this, now, for 3D.

Greg....thanks fo rthe heads up. I'll check around.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Until you really get used to shooting a hand held release, I would stick to a thumb trigger type.

I shoot a pure BT release for all of my shooting, except for 3D and hunting. I find that often times as in hunting the 3D shot is from an unsteady footing position or is required to be made from an akward angle. If you are not super proficent with a BT release then you will inevatibly get premature releases or the ones that you simply can't get to go off.

Work the thumb trigger until you get comfortable. At that point, go ahead and try a BT release.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

To say I am moreconsistently precisewith a hand held "Thumb trigger" style release vs an index release would be an understatement. It's very hard to short circuit the brain and the index finger and to keep yourself from mashing the trigger when the pin is where you want it. Oh it can be done but it takes a lot more discipline than Ipossess.
The problem with shooting the thumb trigger for hunting is that sometimes yo NEED to just pull the trigger and don't have time to squeeze the shoulders, and pull through and all that technical target shooting jazz........most times pin on the target and FIRE!! works just fine.
I suppose you can learn to beat the trigger on a thumb style if you need to shoot in a hurry but that's defeating the purpose of the thing in the first place. Those heavy double sear style releasesare easy to "Yank" off target , same as the index double sear styles like the Carter "One Shot" ..........
For hunting I like a soft feeling single sear release that doesn't resist or hesitate when it gets PULLED, because we all just pull the trigger at the moment of truth. If you have to shoot quick for the most part they stay on target when hit pretty hard.

I could be a little more precise with a thumb trigger hunting for sure, but when it comes down to stopping a deer in small shooting lanes and then having to shoot quickly or the opportunity is gone, fumbling through a shot progression with athumb trigger or dealing with a heavy no travel trigger might not be the best choice.
I kick around the idea of hunting with mine every year and keep resisting because I weigh the possibilities.

If the dumb thing stands there like a postcard and gives me time to settle in with a thumb trigger release and pull off the shot I don't care how far away he is , he's in deep trouble. However my luck dictates that they NEVER stand still for more than a second, if at all, they stop in little openings or are jumpy as hell so I like the one I can shoot fast and still make them dead enough .

I can tell you already that for our WY antelope trip I WILL be using my thumb trigger and a hot rodded 3D style set up most likely because they DO many times stand there and you have a little more time to think about yardage and actually aim. Treestand deer hunting?........I'll consider it like I do every year but will probably pass yet again.

I am in pretty much the same opinion BUT,I use a much heavier wrist release than what most will use for hunting.

I use the Short & Sweet II and imo,a almost perfect for hunting.Heavier than most but much lighter than my Carter thumb.

I feel that hair triggers on any release,hunting or target are the absolute worst thing anyone can do for themselves.

For target,I used a BT foralot of my practicing but used the Carter Fits Me Too for competition.I am more consistant with it.That really points out flaws in my release but it is what it is.

I actually shoot my bt better now than when competing,go figure.I don't think my head is getting in the way now.

The Ultra 3 by tru-ballis a great btat an affordable price.The Just cuz is also a great choice imo.

I would actually reccomend both.That doesn't do much for the affordable part ,does it.

Quick Reply: Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.