HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone got a line on Carter Release aids?

To say I am moreconsistently precisewith a hand held "Thumb trigger" style release vs an index release would be an understatement. It's very hard to short circuit the brain and the index finger and to keep yourself from mashing the trigger when the pin is where you want it. Oh it can be done but it takes a lot more discipline than Ipossess.
The problem with shooting the thumb trigger for hunting is that sometimes yo NEED to just pull the trigger and don't have time to squeeze the shoulders, and pull through and all that technical target shooting jazz........most times pin on the target and FIRE!! works just fine.
I suppose you can learn to beat the trigger on a thumb style if you need to shoot in a hurry but that's defeating the purpose of the thing in the first place. Those heavy double sear style releasesare easy to "Yank" off target , same as the index double sear styles like the Carter "One Shot" ..........
For hunting I like a soft feeling single sear release that doesn't resist or hesitate when it gets PULLED, because we all just pull the trigger at the moment of truth. If you have to shoot quick for the most part they stay on target when hit pretty hard.

I could be a little more precise with a thumb trigger hunting for sure, but when it comes down to stopping a deer in small shooting lanes and then having to shoot quickly or the opportunity is gone, fumbling through a shot progression with athumb trigger or dealing with a heavy no travel trigger might not be the best choice.
I kick around the idea of hunting with mine every year and keep resisting because I weigh the possibilities.

If the dumb thing stands there like a postcard and gives me time to settle in with a thumb trigger release and pull off the shot I don't care how far away he is , he's in deep trouble. However my luck dictates that they NEVER stand still for more than a second, if at all, they stop in little openings or are jumpy as hell so I like the one I can shoot fast and still make them dead enough .

I can tell you already that for our WY antelope trip I WILL be using my thumb trigger and a hot rodded 3D style set up most likely because they DO many times stand there and you have a little more time to think about yardage and actually aim. Treestand deer hunting?........I'll consider it like I do every year but will probably pass yet again.