Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the worst piece of equipment you've bought? >

What's the worst piece of equipment you've bought?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the worst piece of equipment you've bought?

Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What's the worst piece of equipment you've bought?

A cheap fanny pack. Nothing worse than to have the zipper break after using only a couple of times or the buckle to keep slipping so it falls down to your ankles while packing your stand.[:@]

By the way Patti, you still have that Gerber? I field dressed and skinned a doe with mine the other day.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'd have to disagree with mobo, the tree umbrella is one of the most useful tool I've ever bought. I have 2 different tree umbrellas, a big one and a small one. I assume he's talking about the small one and that's my favorite. I use it for a ground blind, use it for stalking, and it's kept me dry in some really bad weather, rain, sleet, hail and snow. If it's going to be windy and raining, I then get out the bigger umbrella. I have had the wind turn the small one inside out a time or two, but if it's that windy, it's probobly too windy to be bow hunting.
I agree with cheap optics, and at the top of my crap list is the Bushnel range finder, (the $135 one) followed closely by my Bushnell pocket size binaculars,(the $50 one) both useless at least 1 hour before dark. Another big waist of money was the red dot sight. The kind that doesn't have a tube but the window style that projects a red dot onto the window to look like a laser dot. Absolute junk! I tried it on 2 different hand guns and even bought a holster to fit only to find out that open sights were faster, a lot more dependable and much more accurate.
One other waist of money was my McKensy 3D buck target. It takes a crowbar to get a field point out of it and it isn't muck easier to get a broad head out of it. I have to throw it on it's side, put a foot on it and pull like heck to get an arrow out of it. What a pain. It's too heavy and bulky for A decoy and after a short time out in the elements it rots out, the surface turns to dust!
The only other thing I can think of was a pair of gloves. I don't recall the brand but the slogan was something like," the warmest thin gloves in the world." They cost about $20. I tried them one time, it wasn't real cold out, about 40 degrees but my hands were frozen before I even got to my stand. I took them off and my hands were a lot warmer without them than with. Cheap $5 pair of fleece gloves are a lot warmer than these were. I took them back where I bought them thinking maybe they were cold because they were too tight. Traded for the next size bigger and froze my hands again!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's two that stand out:

Western Rivers electronic Predator call. The sounds suck! The worst is their Owl and crow fight.... Its a crow and a mourning dove!

Buck Wing Bobbin head deer decoy. It looks real enough and the bobbin head is pretty realistic but the thing is made SO flimsy that it's a royal pain to set it up without it popping apart. It even has a warning molded into the plaastic telling you the warranty doesnt cover dropping the head while the weights are attached. Something thats going to be used out in the feild shouldnt be so fragile that it needs warning labels!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

True Talker...sorry you lovers of the call but after 3 of them falling apart...never again.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Hoyt hat, I just couldnt hit crap waering that hat. No really electric socks, bow holder the fork type.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Cheap optics is a great worst buy... but my funniest and most appropriate end was a "Solar Shower". Supposedly you hang these deals in the sun and you have a nice warm shower. Well, I hung mine, I laid it on the hood of a vehicle for 3 days and finally found out how it works best. The last night when we were ready for bed I threw it on the fire, telling my buddy I figured out how this works. It did heat the water, it burned up the damn thing and put out the fire for the night so the ranger wouldn't get mad. LOL I vote solar shower.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generic EZ hanger. Hard as hell to start in tree and bent on first use. Can't beat the real thing. It is a must have.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

DEER SCENTS, just say no!!

And calls too. What sound can't you make with you mouth? And not have to carry that call around!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Expensive premium ammo for a 7mm Rem Mag for use on deer with a max distance shot of only 300 yards. Cheap effective soft points are more then effictive at that range.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Rain gear that was made of really nice camo on the outside and then was lined with that white plastic material that was then covered witha mesh material. I couldn't have gotten wetter if I had stood in the rain without it. I'm reallypicky now as to what I pick for rain gear.

Quick Reply: What's the worst piece of equipment you've bought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.