Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting in Vermont? >

Bowhunting in Vermont?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting in Vermont?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bowhunting in Vermont?

So, as some of you may remember, I made a post a while back about moving to an new area (state) specifically for better hunting opportunities. My girlfriend (soon to be fiance...I hope), is a Pharmacy student, and will graduate in 2009. She isn't sure where she wants to go, but she now has this idea of going to Vermont, because the regional director for Rite Aid (who was at one time her boss), contacted her and told her about the opportunities and incentives being offered up there for new pharmacists. All new pharmacists start out at $120K a year with a $15K sign on bonus for a 1yr contract, and $30K for two years. Now, I'm a bit leary of Vermont for a couple of reasons. I know it's a very liberal state for one. I also hear that many of the areas and towns are very poor and have very little economy besides tourism. Now, I know we have members on here from VT, so don't take this as a jab at where you live, much of this is just hearsay, not first hand experience, so if I'm wrong, please tell me.

Here's the big question though How's the hunting? From what little I've heard about, the deer density is very sparse (much like Maine). Low deer/sq mile=slow/hard hunting. I love to hunt, as we all do on here, and I really don't want to move to an area where, although the scenery may be nice, the hunting is not as good. I'm a first year teacher, not really sure what teh job market is like up there, but it certainly isn't going to provide the benefits and salary PA does (PA is #5 in best overall teaching states). What's the bowhunting season like there? Rifle season?

Rick James (Matt), I searched back to 2004 posts on here and saw you grew up in VT and lived in NH for a while before moving to NY, and also read a thread about you shooting a spike in rifle season I'm just messing with ya, but I was a bit leary about how you mentioned that day you shot that spike, you were the only guy hunting in that area that had seen a buck let alone got a shot at one. It sounded like it's a gift just to see a buck in VT.

So I guess what I'm asking is, in a nutshell, should I try my hardest to convince her VT is no good? Or is VT not so bad of a place after all both hunting and living wise?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting in Vermont?

VT has the worst deer hunting I've personally ever seen. The tree huggers are abundant, if your not wearing birkenstocks year round and driving a subaru with a starbucks frappacino in the cup holder, you will be the weirdo in town. Seriously, most of New England is like this and I absolutely hate it and would never consider it an option to live again.

I grew up in Vermont and it honestly isn't the state it was when I was a kid. When I was younger it was a beautiful state with a lot of farms, big mountains,some of the best scenery you could ever hope for, and good country oriented Vermont natives were the majority of the population. When I go back to visit family now, (my mother and sister still live there) it makes me sick to see housing developments on the farms I grew up hiking and hunting. Literally every single farm I knew of in a 10 square mile as a kid has gone under. The majority of the population is now trust fund types, and retired folks from downstate NY and NJ and it has driven the cost of housing up tremendously. Taxes are high as well, but not quite as high as NY. You better have a 150k per year houshold income if you want to own a normal house, and the job market there is pitiful unless you work in real estate, or your a doctor/lawyer.

They do have antler restrictions in VT now, however unless they start cutting trees in the state property (tree huggers won't hear of it) it won't help. The habitat won't support a good deer herd, everything is either soft wood type forests, or non mast producing hardwoods........and all of it is mature enough so that there is not much browse at ground level. I'm only 1 hour from the VT border and have access to thousands of acres of private property there but honestly won't spend the $$$$ to hunt it, I'd rather drive 4 hours to hunt PA.

That about sums it up...........[8D]

The trout fishing is fantastic though, probably the best in the entire northeast, especially if your willing to hike. There are places you can hike to and find native trout that have never seen a fisherman, fly, or lure.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing...............

After 10+ years of hunting Vermont, I've only seen maybe a total of 8-10 bucks during open season. All of them were 1.5 years old except one. If your a really good hunter, you may be able to tag a doe consistently in Vermont, and maybe a buck every other year or so. Most of the state has populations of less than 10 deer per sqare mile, and lots of it with less than 5 per square mile. The only way to consistenly kill good bucks up there is to travel to the northeast kingdom (waaaaay up north) and track on snow with a rifle. There are a VERY few hunters out there that have consistent success this way, but it's the hardest hunting I've experienced and you better be prepared to pack a deer out for miles and miles.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, and that about sums it up. No Vermont for me. Personally, I have no desire to go there. Hopefully there can be compromise
Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, also, I drive an 05 Tacoma (which will end up lifted like my last one), I hate starbucks, and it's jeans and carhart for me...so yeah...they would love me there
Old 12-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

This is my first post on this forum; although I have spent countless hours enjoying it. I couldn"t agree more with Rick James on VT. hunting. I have lived here all but 6 of my 55 years and it is about the worse hunting I have seen!! Everything he says about tree huggers etc. is TRUE. I now hunt across the border in N.H. and enjoy it much more.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like alot depends on where in VT, my cousin lives near Burlington and has not reported the yupee/tree hugger attitude at all.

If you get near the ski areas you could run into it though (same here in NH)
Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

Sounds like alot depends on where in VT, my cousin lives near Burlington and has not reported the yupee/tree hugger attitude at all.

If you get near the ski areas you could run into it though (same here in NH)
I've heard mixed things about Burlington. I've heard it's the liberal gathering hub of VT, but I've also heard some of the nicest towns/land can be found near there. Really, in all honesty, I have no desire to leave PA. I love it here. It offers me endless trout streams/rivers for the summer, and great hunting in the fall/winter. Only time will tell where I end up.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default Sad to hear the negative

I really dot think that Vermont hunting is bad. It's hard and takes skill but there are huge bucks in vermont and people get them every year. Larry Benoit is a great example, also th governor just got a very nice buck and he sucks at everything. I'm no professional hunter and have got 4 deer. 3 does 2 very nice 140 pound range , and a 175 pound 7 point. It's a great place to live the people are very very nice and yes it has diverse culture but that is what makes any part of America great, the people who don't like having " tree huggers" are just close minded people who can't understand another point of view. Having hose people is what creates a working democracy with manny view point that make sure we hear all sides and don't go down the wrong path or legislation.