Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What's your best method of getting permission? >

What's your best method of getting permission?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's your best method of getting permission?

Old 01-28-2003, 10:07 AM

Default RE: What's your best method of getting permission?

I am the luckiest guy at getting hunting permission. I have so many farms I can't even scout them all each year. My wifes grandfather is a farmer. Everyone knows him. Once I tell them who I am most farmers in his area will let me hunt.

I have also permission on 3 properties that I got from people at work. Once I found out that their family owned land, I really talked about hunting alot when I was able to talk to them and told them that I only bowhunt and believe it or not, all 3 of them said I could hunt their land. I didnt even ask them.

And I have the secret weapon at getting permission from total strangers in my area. This has worked for me many times...

There are many produce stands on the side of the road around here. Some of them are in front of the farm. When I see kids there selling the produce, I dont even try. When I see the old farmer there I pull on in.

I agree that you should be clean cut and able to smile. Do not drive up in a Jap car or truck. I wear my Ward Burton cap and right away the farmer likes me.

This is the actual conversation between me and a nice farmer that gave me permission on his small farm.

I pulled up to his stand and walked up and looked at the tobbacco field and told him 'you got some pretty bacca plants there.' He said they were doin' good this year. I got some silver queen corn and a melon and then I asked, you have any problem with deer? He said deer were eating him out of house and home. I smiled and said I'm the guy you been lookin' for I'll get em for you and leave em on your back porch if you want em. He said he wished someone would hunt back there. I asked where I should park my truck.

I asked if he liked deer meat and he said he wasn't too crazy about it. I asked him if he liked rockfish and he said he loved em. I told I fish all the time and I promised him some rockfish. Then he starts pointing out fields and telling me where he sees deer all the time.

The 'produce stand approach' is one of the best ways to talk to farmers without having to knock on their door.

Do not try this in southern Maryland because I dont want anyone else stinkin' up my spots.

Edited by - natty Bumpo on 01/28/2003 12:44:57
Old 01-28-2003, 11:38 AM

My best spot, I took their grandson's fishing. The land owner came to me to give me permiossion. I also marianate venison for them about once a month so all they have to do is put it on the grill. The last snow we had they showed up with a loader and did our 200' driveway for us.

THWACK!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is fortunately not a problem for me as I hunt family land but here is how I would approach it here in Alabama. Despite what many have said I would not just show up unannounced at someones house. A lot of people are put off and suspicous of strangers that just show up at their home, especially the ones asking for a favor. I would send the person a letter first. It is easy to say no over the phone and they may hang up before you can give them your full story. Most people will read your whole letter however. Also the first knee jerk reaction will usually be to say "NO". With a letter however you are not there to say no to yet. Warn them of your intentions to drop by one evening next week and he will have a while to think about his answer before you get there. In it explain who you are. Give referances of other people whose land you have hunted. Tell them that you hunt ethically and would never damage or alter his land in any fashion without prior permission. Always offer to share the meat and don't be greedy. Give the man some of the tenderloin not a shoulder roast. Assure him that it would only be you hunting on his land. Its easier to get permission for one than for five. If they are elderly people offer to help out around their place. If they say no don't push it and upset them. I had a friend who was initially turned down by a landowner but the guy called him the next season and told him if he still wanted to hunt his land that he could. Don't burn your bridges behind you cause you never know. Another tip is don't just go after the landowner with a 1000 acres or more. Odds are these days a guy with that much land is gonna be leasing it anyway. A little 40 acre farm with little or no hunting pressure wedged in between two large tracts of land that get a lot of hunting pressure can be a real honey hole. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2003, 02:04 PM

Tazman can you share that secret form of yours with all of us. That's a great idea.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tazman I like the idea of taking your children with,but I would dress them and make them appear to be half starved.No one can refuse a staving child .LOL
Old 01-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Cardeer... good idea. Can you come with me next week while I'm rounding up a new place for next year. I want you to look starved and maybe make your nose run a little.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:49 AM

Taz that's a great idea with the secret weapon. How I got my permision that ended up being a living hell:
1. Go to the house rather than calling....it's too easy to say no on the phone.
2. Dress neat and be in a good.
3. I'd suggest going by yourself so it doesn't look like your're about to storm the fort(especially if they're older)
4. Comment on their beautiful home and yard.
5. Let them know that you are at their absolute disposal whenever needed.......for anything.
6. Always keep in mind YOU are coming to their land to ask to hunt on THEIR property!!!
7. After obtaining permision or even if you don't..........stick around for awhile and make small talk. Let them know you're a genuine good guy.

Years ago I got permision by doing #7. An old farmer wasn't keen on the idea of people hunting on his land which was fine. Instead of jumping in my truck and bolting, I stayed and talked to him for about a half hour - 45 minutes. Just shooting the breeze about sports. He was a cool old man. Whatever changed his mind, at the end I was about to leave he granted me permision. Said ahhhhhhhhhhhh heck I guess it won't bother anything go ahead.

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Flip, here it is:

I _______________________________________ give Your Name permission to hunt on my property during the 2002-2003 hunting season.

I Your Name release the owner of the aforementioned property from any responsibility for any injury to myself, or damage to my property. I also accept full responsibility for any accidental damage that I may incur upon the aforementioned property.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Titlest your number 7 is very true, the twins and I had been turned down by this one older guy and after about 20-30 minutes of talking he asked did I bowhunt, I answered yes, he said well I don't see how that could hurt anything.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Taz.
You might think about adding this to the bottom part of your permission slip.
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> I _______________________________________,(Owners Name), give, ___________________________________, (Your Name), permission to hunt on my property during the 2002-2003 hunting season.
<font color=purple>We have to have the name of the ranch if differnt from owners name example Owners name John doe Ranch is XIT. Some times they have more than one property and do not want to let you hunt but on one.</font id=purple>
I ______________________________________(Your Name) release the owner of the aforementioned property from any responsibility for any injury to myself, or damage to my property.<font color=purple>I add to this &quot;Unless injury or damage is caused by owner.&quot;</font id=purple> I also accept full responsibility for any accidental damage that I may incur upon the aforementioned property. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I dont know about the rest of the states but I have been told that this is just a feel good peace of paper and is not binding. You cannot sign away your rights. Example. Those slips of paper you sign for your kid to go on field trips, if the driver is at fault you can still take them to court. Happend here about 4 years ago. Church bus cliped a semi and just took out one side of the bus killing x number of kids. Driver fell asleep. Parents took it to cort and they are in settlement right now. Again this is what I was told by our Co. Lawyer.
Rick

<font color=black></font id=black>

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.