Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot a lot of new bows last night >

Shot a lot of new bows last night

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot a lot of new bows last night

Old 12-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Shot a lot of new bows last night

So I hit the proshop with a full cup of coffee,full wallet, and my release. I shot (all 2008) the Drenalin, Dream Season, Cardiac, General, Airborne 101st, Allegiance and Diamond Marquis..........the only thing empty when I left was the coffee. They were all OK and certainly fine bows but that's about it.

The Drenalin.............yawn, I mean I just don't know what Mathews is trying to do anymore. It is a nice bow as usual, and the draw is smooth as usual, I think the grip may have actually got FATTER and the speed is nothing to write home about. I'm sure it would kill a deer and bust paper just fine but I honestly can't figure out why anyone would pick this bow if they had $700-$800 to spend. They are really testing their die hard fans with this year IMO.

The Dream Season..........Don't think I liked one thing about this bow and the hand shock was brutal.

The Cardiac..........nice and didn't seem to be much of a change from last year (if any). Good all around bow, nice draw, good feel and smooth shooter.........It's best feature is the price tag IMO.......every bit as nice a bow if not better then the Mathews for a reasonable price considering what you are getting. Would have been nice to see some more changes/improvements but they are still a very young company and I think they are on the right track.

The General...........felt top heavy (just had a rest on it) but nothing crazy...........draws smoother then last years Guardian and that is about it. It is quiet and smooth for sure but no more then the 2006 split riser bows. Speed isn't there to make you pick this bow over another (BC read 71lbs 350gr arrow 298fps at 29")........and other then the improved draw cycle I couldn't find anything worth getting excited about. If someone is going to buy a new Bowtech this year I'm not really sure why they would pick this one...........considering my dealer said that when Bowtech contacted him this year all they wanted to talk about was the Airbornes I suspect they feel the same. Just a guess.

Airborne 101st............nice and light and a good looking and feeling bow. Draw was not bad and the speed was there for sure. I could feel the shot in my hand......not extreme like the Dream Season but no doubt about it. What I didn't like was I could hear a definite SLAP of that string whacking the bumper system they have on it........I even went outside and could still hear it. My dealer said he hopes it is just that bow because that has been everyone's observation that shot it and he can't get rid of it...........right now I would not buy THAT bow but hopefully it is just an anomaly and not common to this bow. I did check every Bowtech in the shop with the new string suppressor on it and only one showed the string lining up perfectly centered with the grabber and some had visual wear already.......if this bow has any major flaw it will be with the stopper IMO.........we will see. The speeds will sell these bows........you do pay for it but not much. Nice bow, if the 82nd comes in without that SLAP Imay buy one for a second bow.

Allegiance..............obsolete with the new Airbornes IMO..........gotta be the last year for this model. This years Tribute to me........why buy this one when you can get an Airborne.

Marquis............Can't think of a reason to buy this bow........unless you're on a budget. Nice bow......easy to forget.

Didn't see anything in the 2008's that raised the bar..........I honestly think they are running out of ideas because Mathews did nothing, Ross did nothing, Bowtech recycled a couple old ideas and Hoyt seems to be on idle as well just by looks. They are all great bows as everyone knows but I doubt too many people who already own one of these lines from the last couple years is gonna be blown away and feel like 2008 is a MAJOR upgrade over what they already own.

I look forward to shooting the 82nd Airborne as it's my last hope of a worthy new toy this year.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Shot a lot of new bows last night

thats cool to see you trying out all the new bows and if you dident like them you dident buy one. I have a mathews outback (2004 model) and i was going to upgrade this summer but nobodys coming out with any thing that really excites me so all im going to do is get new strings and cabels and that should last me another 4 years, or at least until someone comes out with something that could be considered an UPGRADE.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Great review. I kinda look at this like a guy critiquing all the new Sportscars……when he’s already driving a late model screamer, himself, though. What’s not a big deal to that guy….is CERTAINLY a big deal to the guy driving the Chevy Luv pickup.

I hope you’re right about the 82nd making the Allegiance obsolete. I’ll soon own one of each….and if I don’t need the Ally…..I’ll certainly part ways with her. But….obsolete or not…..the Ally was head and shoulders above what I was shooting before it. It's also (I think) about 3" shorter ATA. If that doesn't make a difference in the DB blind....I'll have an Ally for sale.

IMO .....the "Recycled" ideas from Bowtech are still leaps and bounds ahead of their competition. "Major Upgrade"? Nope. Not really. I just always wanted a 3D bow....and the 82nd seems like it "may" fit two bills, for me.

Again....great review. For the guys who buys a new bow every year....I think your assessment is spot on. If you haven't shot one of the new design Bowtechs, though (Guardian; General)......go shoot one and tell me what you think. We ordered my son a Guardian, also. He'll be shooting for his school team and hunting with it.....and we felt it was the best of both worlds for him.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

What camo pattern was best on the bows?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

What camo pattern was best on the bows?
If you go to Bowtech's website, Gr8......you can see all the new patterns (available for each bow). I ordered my 82nd in "Treestand".
Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Jeff.. I knew that ! It was tongue in cheek..looking for a chuckle.

I made the decision to stay with my Alley another year. Got my new strings yesterday.

I see a few "possible" issues popping up on the General (the one I thought I wanted) so I'm gonna wait a bit and let you rich guys do the field testing.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good write up Atlas! I like my Guardian so I'll stick with it for another year. Im a bow slut unfortunately, I know, Im an idot, I buy new bows every year or 2, probably exactly why they make new models every year becauseof guys like me[:'(]I think I have a bow fetish lol.

Atlas, what bow are you currently shooting?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 AM

If you want speed, shoot the PSE XForce 6' brace hieght.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great review, Atlas. I spent Saturday with my son shooting a ton of bows. You have to remember that right now I am shooting a twenty year old Proline Force II. It shoots great and holds up well, but it was a HUGE eye opener shooting these new bows. Everything we tried was leaps and bounds above my current bow. Since I am looking to buy two bows this year (one for me and one for the son), I am looking in the bargain category, but still they shoot nice. I decided (well, my son did) on the Diamond Rapture. I know it is a 2007 model and being replaced by the Rock, but my son liked it better. I am going back in this weekend. One notable negative, I was not at all pleased with the Bear Element. I would stick with my old bow before buying one of those. It could have just been "that" bow, but it stank the place up. I shot two arrows with it and put it down. Looked at my son and said "don't bother".
Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty spot on Atlas

I do have a new Cardiac coming, for me it's the 4'' inches shorter ATA. I am setting this bow up to hunt. I will add woth the ROSS you get a waaaay better string and cables and anicer finish on the riser.What you do not get is speed

Quick Reply: Shot a lot of new bows last night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.