Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

ORIGINAL: Germ

For the love of GOD I give up.

I support hunters period[:@]
x10
Old 12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Germ(nothing personal buddy - just in the order of debate): I just don't get it... In this thread, you're tellingus thatwe're out of line for suggesting thatwe hope the gunners inour area eat tag soup... But, in another thread, you'refired upbecause somebody on a boat floats through your little private hunting paradise and tries to pick off a couple deer out of your little sanctuary.

So if I'm smellin' what the Germ is cookin' - you expect everybody else to welcome gun hunters with open arms, but when they are invading your turf, you're calling the Warden and conducting CSI video investigations.

Not being critical orargumentative - just seeing a little bit of a double standard. You know... "I hope you guys all get something... But I just hope you don't get it anywhere near where I'm hunting."

In fairness: I don't exactly live in a glass house either. I'd put any of my buddies in any ofmy best stands on any day that they wanted (gun or bow)... And if the situation was right - I'd even walk the bedding areas to bump up some deer and put abuck in their lap. That's how I roll.BUT, if I saw some random guy in there, I'dinconspicuously and systemmaticallymove every deer in the place back to its bed and anchor down the whole herd. LOL

There is a level of greed to this whole hunting thing. At least around here... The competition is pretty tough, so there is some gamesmanship and self-preservation involved. It's all part of the game. There's no shortage of other people trying to eat your lunch.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Germ(nothing personal buddy - just in the order of debate): I just don't get it... In this thread, you're tellingus thatwe're out of line for suggesting thatwe hope the gunners inour area eat tag soup... But, in another thread, you'refired upbecause somebody on a boat floats through your little private hunting paradise and tries to pick off a couple deer out of your little sanctuary.
What they were doing is illegal in MI.

You can float the river, but you can not float hunt the river on private property. They were squirrel hunting When you come within 30 yds of .22 shells sailing through the air, you may get a little fired up.

There is a difference between Legal hunting and poaching. If they would have flung an arrow across my land I would have called. Does not matter to me.

So I was fired up because what they were doing was illegal

Direct from MI hunting guide

Float Hunting
Hunting and trapping are exclusive rights of landowners bordering the
waterway and their invited guests. Float hunters need permission to enter lands
protected by the recreational trespass law. You may float hunt public lands open
to hunting.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Not being critical orargumentative - just seeing a little bit of a double standard. You know... "I hope you guys all get something... But I just hope you don't get it anywhere near where I'm hunting."

There is a level of greed to this whole hunting thing. At least around here... The competition is pretty tough, so there is some gamesmanship and self-preservation involved. It's all part of the game. There's no shortage of other people trying to eat your lunch.
Greed and hypocrosy! I remember years ago, asking a landowner for permission to hunt. He turned me down and said that he found his prize angus bull dead one morning with an arrow stuck in his side. Bowhunters have their slobs too! We are all in this hunting thing together. Attitudes that I've seen on this site does not make me feel to positive about the future of hunting.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bad Germ. I thought they were deer hunting. Well... Either way,if you were REALLY rooting for them to get a deer this fall... You could've just invited them back to your stand sitefor gun season, maybe told them what a great area it is for trophy deer and all...

Funny. Lots of you guys come down on me for being "greedy," but I'd bet a lot of the same folks giving me a hard time - will take their best stand sites to the grave. LOL Maybe I'm just more up-front about it than the next guy.

I read the newspaper everyday, and I've still never found an ad that says:"WHITE HOT DEER STAND SITE LOCATED! NEED HUNTER TO HELP SHOOT BIG BUCKS THIS WEEKEND. CALL 555-5555 and ask for Billy Bob. Private, Posted Property. FREE!!"
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say I root against the gunners.

But I have thought to myself "I hope that buck makes it through gun season".

I get really happy and excited when I see bucks after gun season that have survived. We don't have many bucks around here, so it's always a great feeling to know that a few survived the gun season.

I don't root against the gun hunters, I just root FOR the deer .
Old 12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

My bad. I thought they were deer hunting. Well... Either way...

You know... if you were REALLY rooting for them to get a deer this fall... You could've just invited them back to your stand sitefor gun season, maybe told them what a great area it is for trophy deer and all...
I am rooting for the 3 gun hunters already hunting are property. Yes I have help them score in the past. Uncle ED shot his buck out of one of my stands. I gave him a ride in my boat. I have also help on deer drives for them.

I felt like you doin the pastQuick, but something happen to me in my 30's. I realized how I enjoy hunting is how I look at it. I go out to just have fun, and not worry about what others are doing, it is way more enjoyable. Sitting around during gun season getting all work up about what a gun hunter may or may not be doing is pointless IMO. I just hunt and control the things I can control. The fact we can control who hunts are land is a big plus

Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can't just label bowhunters or gunhunters. We are all hunters. It's the different type of hunters that are out there. If a hunter was ethical, legal, curtious, etc... I could care less if he kills a deer with a gun,bow,ML, spear or knife. I'm happy for a fellow hunter that kills a deer. The fine line is who is a "fellow hunter".

I don't consider slob hunters or poachers fellow hunters. In answer to your poll I hope they never kill or even see a deer in their entire lifetime. I have zero tolerance for people that go to the woods practicing everything that I am against. That includes things such as trespassing, unethical shots, illegal shots, not tagging, lack of effort in recovery etc....... The people out there that are doing what constitutes IMO being a "hunter", I am happy for them with whatever they kill with whatever weapon they kill it with.

It just so happens that the "gunhunters" or gunseason seems to expose the type of hunter I don't consider a fellow hunter more than bowseason does. Maybe it's the increase in numbers of people in the woods. Maybe there is a less percentage of slob bowhunter than there is gunhunters. Not saying that there arent' bad apples in the bowhunting world either, cause we all know there are. It just seems more prevelant during gun season. However you can't stereotype them as gunhunters. You have to look at the individual as to what type of hunter he is.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I see Quik's point......and the only thing I'd say is......As long as they are hunting on land they have permission to be on.....and are observing the game laws.....

Yep....I hope they're all successful.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do I support all hunters? Yes. Do I oppose poachers? Yes. Do I favor my friends and hunting partners? Yes.

That is mostly because I know that my friends and hunting partners are hunters and not poachers. Here in PA what is considered hunting by some is most definitely poaching to others, so it's really hard to be supportive of the other guys if you try to hunt ethically because shady activity is so prevelant. It really is a different world here and I can understand why PA "hunters" have a bad reputation throughout the country.

The bottom line is we can't root too hard against the other hunters because if the average joe who isn't a die hard like most of us goes too many seasons without bagging a deer he'll quit. Too many average joes quit the game commissions won't have money to support us. No money and the politicians will turn a blind eye. Then hunting of all kinds will be illegal, and I WILL be a poacher at that point, because I ain't gonna quit hunting. So, yeah I want the other guys to get their deer. Even if it is a short term loss, it turns out to be a long term gain.

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.