Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many bowhunters have rifle hunted? >

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The same reason you would have a sight on your bow.
What sight?

Dadgone Paris, what a poser you are.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Bry:

I've never used a big game (caliber) hunting rifle with a scope. But why would you need a scope (I'm just asking) for a 100yd shot (or so)?

Is that a fair question? I see people on TV shoot that distance with a ML and iron sights.
Jeff,

Get yourself a shotgun or muzzle loader with an iron sight, put out a bullseye target at 100yds, shoot at it without a rest (off hand) and report back with your results.

I also would like for you to grab a rifle with a scope and shoot it off hand at anything past 100yds using the same size target, and report back.

P.S. You can take as many shots as you like. and I'll be more than happy to supply the firearms.

Shooting at a range and hunting are two completely different things even when both are utilizing a rest. At a range you have the luxury and the time to set your rifle in a secure position and sight it in perfectly with a known distance where basically all you need to do is carefully lean into it and shoulder the rifle, acquire your sight and pull the trigger.

Making a 100yd shot in a hunting situation with an iron sighted rifle is not a gimme even while using a rest. Make it an off handed shot and it's even more difficult.

You can watch all the TV shows you want but they will never air the misses, wounded and not recovered deer, or mishaps that occur while hunting (bow or gun). All they show are the successful kills and it makes folks think it's easy.

That's another reason why I like Tred Barta but that's for another post.

.......and I'll supply the ammunition!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get yourself a shotgun or muzzle loaderwith aniron sight, put out a bullseye target at 100yds, shoot at it without a rest (off hand) and report back with your results.
Now you go adding "off-hand" in there....lol. Guys..I'm watching the "You make the shot" segment, yesterday (TV hunting show)....and they discussed this very thing. The hunter had a rest. He was using a ML, iron sights.....and they said the 100yd shot wasn't that big of a deal. I don't know???? Don't care! Just figured they knew what they were taliking about.

I asked if the question was fair. I think it was.
Very fair Jeff,

My first ever buck I shot with a 30-30, iron sights, no scope, off hand and took the buck in the heart at 100 yards. I think I was 16ish. My second buck, off hand, in the heart at 100 yards. The first deer I shot at when I put a scope on the gun I missed...under 100 yards. I blamed the scope...LOL

People put scopes on guns to make it easier, not much different than scoping a bow...easier, clearer picture etc.. That is why there is an Open class and a MBR class. It's not equal to shoot both in one class.

A scope on a gun or a bow makes it more accurate.

Again, I have zero desire to ever kill another whitetail with a rifle. I would however consider my flintlock again, I'm one for one, no inline for me.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do both but every year I hope I dont need to break out the cannon, I usually do well in archery.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

My first ever buck I shot with a 30-30, iron sights, no scope, off hand and took the buck in the heart at 100 yards. I think I was 16ish. My second buck, off hand, in the heart at 100 yards. The first deer I shot at when I put a scope on the gun I missed...under 100 yards. I blamed the scope...LOL

People put scopes on guns to make it easier, not much different than scoping a bow...easier, clearer picture etc.. That is why there is an Open class and a MBR class. It's not equal to shoot both in one class.

A scope on a gun or a bow makes it more accurate.

Again, I have zero desire to ever kill another whitetail with a rifle. I would however consider my flintlock again, I'm one for one, no inline for me.
What did you have a faulty scope????
Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Noper, it was all me......I had to laugh too.

When I quite rifle hunting I was shooting a .270 scoped and made some damn impressive shots that I know I couldn't have made with open sights. I had a hard time going to a scope....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Both.

Got started with a rifle and still gun hunt. Enjoy bowhunting more though.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Same as most on here. Started gun, then bow to extend the season. Recently started bow hunting way more than before. I'm a lot less successful with my bow than with my gun, but I see more deer, so I actually enjoy it more.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 PM

I enjoy both.All my family rifle hunts soI am not going to pass up a chance to go hunting with the fam.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 PM

I started out w/ a rifle. I love the added challenge of bow hunting and it's cool to see deer when they're not going at mach 5 past my stand.

Quick Reply: How many bowhunters have rifle hunted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.