Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First ever coyote >

First ever coyote

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First ever coyote

Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default First ever coyote

Well, yesterday was the last day of the PA firearms season, and although I've been trying to hold out using my bow during the season I decided to take the rifle for a walk yesterday and boy was I glad I did.

My main goal for this year was to help manage and betterthe deer herd in my neck of the woods. The last few years we have been very selective about the animals we have been taking and it seems to be paying off, even though I still have all of my tags left. We do not shoot yearling deer, and we are trying our bestto only take 2.5 year oldor older bucks if possible. All through our early archery and now rifle season we have been seeing several resectable 1.5 year old bucks and I can't wait to see them growanother year.

About 8 o'clock yesterday morning this fellow was cruising across the CRP field following a few small does and I was able totake him at about 80 yards. This is my first ever coyote and boy was I excited. I will be back out there in our late season, bow in tow trying to put some venison in the freezer.

Good luck and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Brian

Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First ever coyote

Brian, nice yote! And I have that same vest...if we have to wear orange, might as well wear the least as possible and camo it up...LOL Looks good too in B/W

And I'm looking for someone who came through my area and left me a voice mail, no return number...was that you? I know someone here says they come through here often and I wanted to return the call.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

sweet!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

nice i almost got my first yote yesterday. We were doing a little drive through the woods so that we could maybe get a doe or someother critter. A yote was right at the wood line and right before i put the cross hairs on him he jumped away. Pretty cool sight actually haha. I think he knew he was in trouble when he saw a 300 win mag swingin his way!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the Coyote! I am looking forward to this winters Coyote calling! I have been seeing a lot of tracks around some of my public land I hunt. I have way to many around my property in Michigan. There is a beautiful red one running around that I would love to see within range! The .204 is just itching to get back in the woods!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Again, Brian, nice yote. Are you doing anything with it. I've been fortunate enough to luckily take 3 so far, first with a bow, full mount on him and I can offer a taxi and a mount if you wish. Hell, we could meet for dinner if you bring him up. The second one I shot with my rifle a year after I shot the bow one. Same tree, same spot, I bet the yotes didn't stand 5 yards apart from one another a year apart. I tanned his hyde and it hangs by my fireplace. The third came into my turkey calls in the spring after the busted two gobblers I had coming on a rope. He got a face full of lead and had mange so, he was left for the critters who could stand him, a little payback if you will.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Congrats!

Be careful you don't get bit by the Yote bug.

I killed my first yote when I was 12, but never thought much of it back then as I was with my granddad who hunted and trappedbunches of them over his lifetime. We skinned him,stretched him, then Granddad took him to market and gave me the money for the hide. It never sunk in back thenas a "sport", but more of a way to get thru the winter and muddy spring as income to subsidize a loggers family.

Recently my brother got into calling yotes, and I went out with him just once to see what all the hub-ub was about. I got excitedjust watching him 86 a yote from a good distance with his Rem 223, and now am looking to buy a TC Encore 22-250 and get into it myself. It will be a good addition to horn hunting this early spring

Old 12-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Rob,

I did have plans to either have him mounted or have the hide tanned, butunfortunatelyhe also had some mange. You can't tell by the picture, buthis other side was really nasty looking. Under his stomach and half way up his side, the hair was completly gone. I'm hoping to get a shot at another one and hopefully that one will get mounted.

Take care,

Brian
Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice job!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Brian

Congrats on your yote !!When you getback to bow hunting,hopefully you willhave an oppertunity to take one withbow also. Best of luck with your late season.

Tim

Quick Reply: First ever coyote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.