Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck shot

Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Neck shot

I have to agree w/the others, a neck shot is too risky. The percentage of error is too great. We all like to make a quick clean kill, & a shot off mark thru the neck has a much better chance of wounding/killing.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't personally take the shot but I do know afew people who say they prefer the shot so as to not ruin much meat (provided they consider it a "close enough" shot). These are the same people who take head shots. Ithink the broadside shot with or without an exit wound damages very little meatand is much more humane.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

No biology expert, but if you severe a deers windpipe, is it not automatically dead or would that deer live for some time?

No, it is not automatically dead. Think of it as a person who has to have a tube in there neck due to throat cancer or something of that nature. The lungs and heart are still functional and still able to breathe. All you are doing by severing the windpipe is creating another opening for air and causing a long, painful death by infection.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

NEVER<EVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVREERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Bonafide Hog at 8 yards this year and was at Full Draw. The only shot I had was the neck and yes it was tempting he was so close, but I knew better and did NOT take the shot.

As Bowhunters we have to know when to Hold and when to Let'er Go. It's not always an easy choice

Dan
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Spike

No Way!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: seller

i was just asking cuz i have seen alot of guys shootat the rangeand they are very acurrate, and i was just thinking that if you are at 10 yards or less and the only thing you see on the deer is the neck if it would be a good shot. but i guess not.....i did not know i was going to get this many responses....thanks for the advice.....still trying to get my first deer.
You didn't know, thats why you asked and now you know! Very good question on your part! More people should ask questions instead thinking they know it all! Good luck on getting your 1st deer buddy!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

NEVER, period.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Dont get me wrong, I wont take this shot, BUT I would say your chances of hitting a vital in the upper part of the neck are extremely good. Say you aim at the white patch area. This part of the neck is maybe 6-7 inches wide in in that area you have to huge vital veins, a windpipe, and the spine. I would say it would be hard not to hit a vital there. It a shot I have been taught to always avoid and I do but it seems like there is alot there to hit, if your in the upper part of the neck?
And say the deer ducked when the bow went off, what your going to hit is snout or mouth or maybe even skull. I cringe even at the thought of that.
And HNI Christine how do you know that deer died 5 weeks later? Because gun season was 5 weeks prior? Could not that deer have been pouched and died sooner than 5 weeks?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Hunter education course for bow hunting might not be such a bad idea after all,it just amazes me how many times i see questions like this on different forums...
If some body was going to harm you or oyur family and you had a gun would you shoot them in the leg,i dont think so you plugem in the upper torso vitals right,so why should it be any different for a animal........

Quick Reply: Neck shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.