HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Quickest Bowkill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/220804-quickest-bowkill.html)

TimRadke 12-03-2007 07:07 PM

Quickest Bowkill

I took a nice fat doe on the last day of early bowseason, the thursday before gun season opened. At 24 yards, I couldn't have placed the arrow any better if I was standing next to her... Took out both lungs and all of the plumbing on the top of heart with a Tekan II, and she turned and ran as hard as she could for 40 yards, fell, got up, and fell again, sliding to a stop 30 yards straight downhill. From the time the arrow hit her until the time she was stone dead was maybe 4 seconds. Very impressive. I'm always amazed how quick a well placed arrow will do the job.

Plus it got the confidence back up after missing my 150 two weeks before!

early in 12-03-2007 07:12 PM

RE: Quickest Bowkill

My quickest bowkill was about 15 seconds. Shot this buck in the heart, watched it run about 60yrds, and drop dead. It was awesome!

GregH 12-03-2007 07:16 PM

I've had the 4 second thing quite a few times. When talking to non-bowhunters I've rounded it up to 10 seconds so they'd believe me. Still not sure if they do!!??

Sport4 12-03-2007 07:18 PM

My quickest bowkill was also about 4 seconds. I got both lungs including the heart. She ran 30 yds. and dropped.

130woodman 12-03-2007 07:23 PM

This years buck got both lungs and the top of the heart. Maybe 8 seconds.

MichaelHunsucker 12-03-2007 07:32 PM

That is awesome! The second buck i took this year expired very quickly as well! Its hard to beat a perfectly placed shot!

TimRadke 12-03-2007 07:37 PM

Just as a follow-up, here's the buck I missed two weeks before... Guessed him for 34 yards, and he was actually 41. Took off a handful of white hair as the arrow passed exactly where my 40 yard pin was held... Not a good night's sleep that night!

I wish I could have got pictures of him in hard horn, but I have him on trail cam at least a dozen times in velvet!

mauser06 12-03-2007 08:05 PM

i wont doubt my first will most likely be my quickest for a very long time.

honestly didnt make it more than 30yds tops...i bet it was less...but ran from right to left infront of me. 21yd shot...both lungs and everything off the top of the heart...he fell over within shooting distance still...i heard him suck air for a REALLY short time...but he never even kicked a leg or twitched...he ran that short distance, stopped and by the time i could process it mentally, he was down...i watched the arrow sail through him...knew he was down and gone...

there he lays...look for the white belly

heres the entrance...exit is just a inch or 2 or 3 lower..

ive had heart shots with a rifle go farther than he did....awesome watching him topple over and beable to get on the radio to tell my buddy "BUCK down baby!!!" he was grouse hunting up on the top of the mountain...said "thats what i like to hear!!!"

Greg / MO 12-03-2007 09:14 PM

Congratulations, Tim!

I'm with GregH... I've had more than a handful of four-second kills as well; it's always good to see.

I actually had a huge doe under me (well, at like 5 yards) a few years ago that I hit a bit high and forward -- right where you'd aim if you were rifle hunting and wanted to break down the shoulders. Well, I hit her EXACTLY there and she simply collapsed stone dead in her tracks -- just like a rifle kill. Not sure of exactly what I hit in there, but she was dead before she hit the ground. That was WAY cool. :)

mobow 12-03-2007 09:22 PM

I'll tell ya....I think a well placed arrow works just as fast, and is some cases, faster than a rifle. I've had several as well that were 4-6 seconds....Man that's fast...