HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Quickest Bowkill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/220804-quickest-bowkill.html)

Fieldmouse 12-03-2007 09:24 PM

RE: Quickest Bowkill

I've had several drop right where I hit them. The only thing with horns that dropped where I hit him was a six point. He didn't drop right away. He kind of shook his head and then went back to eating. Then he just dropped.

This guy dropped instantly and his brother wouldn't leave him trying to get him to get up. I would have shot him and his mother but I was hunting a golf course and had to be descrete for the members concern.

MOmightymite 12-03-2007 09:28 PM

Congrats on a nice big doe! The BB I shot this year prolly only ran 30-35 yards tops. He fell pretty quick and gave one last kick after about 15 seconds. Took out both lungs and the top of the heart. It's amazing what a well placed shot and a 1-3/4" broadhead will do.

StrikeTrue 12-03-2007 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mobow

I'll tell ya....I think a well placed arrow works just as fast, and is some cases, faster than a rifle. I've had several as well that were 4-6 seconds....Man that's fast...
Yup, I think todays broadheads are definately more lethal than a rifle round on identical shots. The doe i shot this year was alive for maybe 8 seconds after i blasted a rage through both lungs, it was incredible.

my7pointmonster 12-03-2007 10:01 PM

The Furthest ive ever had one run was 70 yards. and that was mainly cause it was all downhill.

Ryan.

wis_bow_huntr 12-04-2007 05:56 AM

My quickest was last years bow season buck, 15-30 seconds. Ran about 40 yards and dropped.
Had to do it one more time!!!!:D

PA Bow/Flinter 12-04-2007 08:14 AM

I had a 2 second one a couple of years ago. Clipped the femeral artery underneath the spine of a deer. He literally took two leaps and on the second leap his legs gave out and he crashed to the ground dead. It was literally two seconds. I couldn't believe it. He only went about 10 yds.

hatchet jack 12-04-2007 08:33 AM

I shot a doe in Ky last year that lasted about 10 seconds. I shot it at 15 yards and it did a round up at the base of my tree and droped dead right under my stand!

Hatchet jack

WV Hunter 12-04-2007 08:41 AM

Ditto on the 4-6 second kill, had that a few times as well. Had one double lunger that ran about 10yrs, face first into MYtree, then flopped over backwards. Not sure if my arrow killed it first, or the tree! [8D]

I've also had one like Greg/Mo described....dropped dead in her tracks (but I try to avoid that shot..LOL).

My favorite of all though, are the ones that don't even know they've been hit. They look around...wondering "what was that"....and 10-15 seconds later start to wobble. The first time it happened to me...I thought I missed! :D

GMMAT 12-04-2007 08:42 AM

I had 3 go down in sight, last year (mere seconds), and the other two were probably dead inside 20 seconds.

This year....I've had 4 go down in sight (mere seconds).....and 2 others that were likely dead within 20 seconds (based on the recoveries). Two others were tough recoveries (due to my ineptness) and probably survived a while before expiring.

Kid 12-04-2007 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: TimRadke

Took out both lungs and all of the plumbing on the top of heart

My very first bow kill was taken with the same results. It was a small buck that only made it about 20 yards while basically falling the entire time. My understanding is when there is a sudden, massive drop in blood pressure it causes an almost instant loss of consciousness. That explains why some deer are only on their feet for a few seconds after a shot that results in quick, massive hemorrhaging.