Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Cost" of a new bow???? >

"Cost" of a new bow????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Cost" of a new bow????

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Cost" of a new bow????

I'm guessing I'm the minority here, but I heavily factor in resale value when it comes to a hunting bow. I like a new hunting bow every year, not because I think something new will give me an advantage but because I like new toys and simply enjoy changing things up. Resale value compared to my initial cost is a large consideration for me personally, because honestly there is very little else out there in terms of features that seperates the top end hunting bows in a hunting situation.Every one of the bows out there by any of the top brand names will get it done every time when it comes to putting an arrow in a grapefruit size spot under hunting conditions.

Now for a competition bow resale value doesn't matter to me much. If I like the bow, I'm likely to keep it and NOT change things up. There are many other things that fall MUCH higher on the priority list of "must haves" on a competition bow that I need to have at just about any expense. The competition bow I'm using now is a 2005 model and honestly I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. Depending on the results of a few others I plan to test drive this year it may not be my #1 selection for certain types of competition but I will not get rid of it.......it simply shoots too good and I have 100% confidence in it when it comes to hitting dime sized X's.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I'll ever buy a NEW bow again, that's for sure. For me, the best bet for your money is to buy a quality used bow, especially if it's not a Hoyt, Bowtech, or Mathews.

For example, I picked up a 06 Pearson Stealth, shot less than 50 times, for about $300. This bow was basically brand new. It's a parallel limb, hybrid cam bow with pivoting limb pockets, a 316 IBO and a 7.5" Brace Height. It's very quiet, shock free, and fast. It shoots very much like the Hoyt Vectrix XL that I shot.

That bow retails for $769 and I got it for less than half that. I plan on shooting it for at least 4 or 5 years so resale value isn't important to me.

It's just like buying a car. The worst investment you can make is a NEW car, unless you are going to drive it until it dies.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't you make new cars
Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Don't you make new cars
LOL. Yes I do. But if I didn't get an employee discount I would probably buy "Certified Used". But the rest of you - keep buying those new GM cars!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have learned that if it isnt a yop brand bow you cant hardly give it away. I just sold a 02' Alpine Impact Extreme for $125 completely set up. Had it in a bow shop for over 2 years. My 03' Outback went in 2 days, the Ol' Ladys Q2 went in a week and the kids Parker is still for sale.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pretty much only buy used bows. Most of the time, I can sell for what I bought for or sometimes even more. One of the last new bows I bought (ordered in 2001) has appreciated in value.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Host of Hosts

I've sold quite a few bows on ebay and have watched alot of them. You almost certainly will lose 200.00 a year selling your 1 year old bow. A 2 year old bow loses quite a bit more value. Hoyt and Mathews resale values are the best, atleast on ebay. Bowtech does OK too, but other brands aren't doing that well.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

I don't factor in anything. If I think I need it or I want it, I buy it.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

I've sold quite a few bows on ebay and have watched alot of them. You almost certainly will lose 200.00 a year selling your 1 year old bow. A 2 year old bow loses quite a bit more value. Hoyt and Mathews resale values are the best, atleast on ebay. Bowtech does OK too, but other brands aren't doing that well.
I would agree with you to some extent, however there are certain brands that you definitely will not lose $200 on. Maybe $200 under the MSRP, but not $200 under a normal selling price when bought new.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I don't think I'll ever buy a NEW bow again, that's for sure. For me, the best bet for your money is to buy a quality used bow, especially if it's not a Hoyt, Bowtech, or Mathews.

For example, I picked up a 06 Pearson Stealth, shot less than 50 times, for about $300. This bow was basically brand new. It's a parallel limb, hybrid cam bow with pivoting limb pockets, a 316 IBO and a 7.5" Brace Height. It's very quiet, shock free, and fast. It shoots very much like the Hoyt Vectrix XL that I shot.

That bow retails for $769 and I got it for less than half that. I plan on shooting it for at least 4 or 5 years so resale value isn't important to me.

It's just like buying a car. The worst investment you can make is a NEW car, unless you are going to drive it until it dies.
I bought a brand new 97 Ford F150 for $23,900.

9 years and 135k miles later I sold it for $8300...no major repairs ever needed

So the cost of ownership of that vehicle wasabout $1733 per year...I think that is pretty dang good!

Quick Reply: "Cost" of a new bow????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.