Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why???

Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why???

My middle name is "murphy".
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh Lord Jeff.. That means were related!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

Did I do this to myself???

Today was the first day of the second shotgun season here in IL. In runs from today through Sunday. As some of you may know I haven't gun hunted since I moved to IL 4 years ago. I usually take it easy the 7 days that gun season is in, and rest up for the late season. Well....today my soon to be father-in-law calls me and ask me if I want to go out with him and sit on stand. Well, I accept his invite, since I have nothing better to do I figure I may as well go sit in one of my stands and do a little field watching just to see what I can see. Keep in mind, I have no gun permit and basically came along to keep him company on the radio and do a little late season scouting. Like most of you guys, I can sit in the outdoors without a weapon and still enjoy myself.

We arrive and I decide to climb up into one of my stands that I have hunted numerous times this year. I have seen some pretty nice bucks out of this stand but nothing huge has came into range while I had my bow in hand. Wouldn't you know it. About 4:30 I see a huge bodied deer coming up the fence line I'm on. I quickly notice he isn't a buck that I have seen before. He closes the distance and at 22 yards is standing perfectly broadsided. I liked to crap my pants. This dude was a stud! Main frame 11 point with lots of stickers. I'm talking 170"+. I can't believe it. He never new I was there. I'm sick. It almost made me wish I had a shotgun permit!!!! Not really!!But by god!!! He was huge. I had a feeling before I went out that something like this would happen. I just hope he shows back up during the late season. This will definitely give my lazy ass a reason to get up out of bed on those cold December mornings. Sorry for the long post, just had to vent.
Damn it!!! That stinks right there. Well if thats not motivation right there I don't know what is. Good luck on getting him down!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So...the thought of sitting in a deer stand (alone - not with another hunter) without a weapon simply doesn't interest me.
See, now doesn't that sound better than your other quote. Humor..... don't quit your day job.

BTW, I didn't make fun of your deer, just using it as an example......you know, humor.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

yeah Greg.....but HONESTLY....if you'd ask me "Are you sure that isn't a bull CALF"? I wouldn't have gotten upset.

I hadn't said the words "near beer" in 25 years. Hell those words make ME laugh on their own.

I honestly wasn't making fun of anyone. I understand the desire to photo deer....and I'm likely more apt to do that than kill them as I mature as a deer hunter. If someone else would help me with the does (next year, boys...).....I'll shoot less and less.

My PERSONAL goal (not my mgmt. goal) is to kill 2, next year....."maybe" 3.

Have a great weekend.