Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why???

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why???

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

Your not allowed to BowHunt during gun season? I would of took my bow in a heartbeat.
No!!! In IL you are not allowed to bowhunt during gun season. I hate that rule. I don't really understand it. As long as I wear my orange I should be allowed to bow hunt IMO.
I feel the same as you goherd. I do shotgun hunt, but only because they won't let me take my bow. The only solid reason I have ever heard as to why it is this way is some are afraid that deer shot with a gun will get a bow tag on them instead of the gun tag.

I could see some probably disobeying it, but I don't think we will see a change any time soon.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

ORIGINAL: RisnerPSE

Your not allowed to BowHunt during gun season? I would of took my bow in a heartbeat.
No!!! In IL you are not allowed to bowhunt during gun season. I hate that rule. I don't really understand it. As long as I wear my orange I should be allowed to bow hunt IMO.
I feel the same as you goherd. I do shotgun hunt, but only because they won't let me take my bow. The only solid reason I have ever heard as to why it is this way is some are afraid that deer shot with a gun will get a bow tag on them instead of the gun tag.

I could see some probably disobeying it, but I don't think we will see a change any time soon.
Yeah, I don't think we'll ever see the change either. Oh well maybe I will break down and apply for my gun tags next season.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chris, please explain to me why you did not purchase a shotgun tag? [>:]

I mean, I know that it's more thrilling to get them with the bow and all... but... with the caliber of deer you've got running around... If they sold slingshot tags, you should have one and be out there... Just because.

You dummy.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh well maybe I will break down and apply for my gun tags next season.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Ok....I'm sure this isn't going to be the "PC" view that most would expect on a bowhunting forum.....BUT....

Climbing a treestand without a weapon, during deer season, is about as interesting to me as drinking a near beer.

[&:]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest guys, I have just lost all desire to gun hunt. Besides by the time the shotgun seasons roll around I am ready for a break. I usually take the few days to rest up and get some things done around the house. To tell you the truth, as dumb as it sounds, I'm not upset for not having a gun permit yesterday. I would much rather have a chance at him with my bow. Honestly, I'm happy I went yesterday and was able to see him. At least now I know he is out there.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know he didn't just say "break"!! March is a good time for a break. How about June?? But, November?? Seriously, I would get the gun tag next year. Here in NY, we can hunt with shotgun, muzzleloader or bow during shotgun season.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Thank God our bow season goes from Sept. to Jan.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Thank God our bow season goes from Sept. to Jan.
Our bow season runs from Oct.1 to Jan. 17. However, its closed Nov.16-Nov.18 and Nov.29-Dec.2 for our two shotgun seasons. So guys its not much time lost, trust me. Grand total of 7 days. Thats all our gun hunters get. And to be honest, I'm glad.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

That's both neat and kind of a bummer since you didn't have a tag. Of course being in IL, you can't just go buy one, you have to apply way in advance. Next time get your camera out in advance!!!

I didn't apply for a shotgun tag but I'm hunting on public land that has standby tags. First, it's a bit of aluck to get a tag, then with all the hunters out there, you're pretty darn lucky if you even see a deer. It's a different kind of challenge. (not to mention that I've never shot a shotgun out of a treestand before, I'm hoping it doesn't knock me out of the tree) I would fall out of the tree if I saw a 170" deer out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.