Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What did you learn this season? >

What did you learn this season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did you learn this season?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What did you learn this season?

ORIGINAL: GregH

I've learned to "expect the unexpected" [:-]
Me too. Like the super doe I shot through the heart that I jumped twice over 24 hrs before recovering her.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know yet and that's the part that bothers me. [&:]
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 AM

I learned that I can get byjust fine by usingthe instinctsI've learned over time to put myself in a postion to kill a buck instead of agonizing over every little detail of the hunt and turning it into a chore.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

i learned that i need to take that buck that was very nice, but had short g 3s because i havent had another one nice one in range... ive had bad dreams about this for the past month[&o][:@]
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM

I learned a lot. The things I knew but really keyed on them more this year than all of 17yrs previous.

1. Practicing is the best virtue and practice early and often is the way to do it.
2. Scent control makes all the difference.
3. Not pushing a deer that is wounded will make all the difference in finding it.
4. People are jealous, very jealous!
5. GregH Kicks Ass!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

i learned that what i learned last year payed off....my sightings were dramatically higher...i was into bucks all season long...and killed my first with a bow.

learned that you REALLY need to pay attention to details to get a shot at a deer with a bow. blew a shot at a buck bigger than the one i killed opening morning. nocked my arrow but never put it on the rest when it was time to draw...

learned alot about scouting and finding deer...

learned that a muzzy put through the lungs of a buck will drop him within shooting distance

practiced more scent control and learned to stay comfortable and stay on stand longer. i started packing in my heavy coat and sometimes heavy overalls as well to prevent overheating...i was either hunting extreme heat or cold(for the time of year in PA) hunted 90 degree days and 70 degree mornings...and hunted 25-30 degree mornings with highs not breaking 40..

called in some of my first deer 10-12 and 10-13. awesome expirience and good knowledge to have in the bag of tricks.

for next year, more scouting and areas are going to be added to the list. i want to work my way up to bigger bucks now...and want to consistanty stay in bucks season long...my scouting started the second i tagged that buck. already have a couple areas in mind for next year...and continued to hunt here at school "for doe" but was really observing bucks and scouting and hunting spots i didnt hunt to see if they would produce...

always gotta keep learning....always something out there to learn...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Sometimes it is harder to get up on a mature "lead cow" doe than a mature buck.

Perseverance pays off.

Deer like grape kool-aid.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

What![&:]

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

Deer like grape kool-aid.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that setting your standards for bucks higher means you have to let a lot of deer walk. Hopefully it pays off.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have learned that a couple family members are worthless shots and am ashamed to admit they carry bows and call themselves hunters (not refering to the beginners I am still trying to coach).......

for myself...A season can turn around in a second. I just need to keep constantly re-evaluating and things will turn out as well as they possibly can.

one thing i did not (re)learn is how to relax[]....My season just did not have that much enjoyment in it. the woods used to be...

Quick Reply: What did you learn this season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.