Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Better" deer = More remorse?? >

"Better" deer = More remorse??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Better" deer = More remorse??

Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Better" deer = More remorse??

I agree with everything said above!! I have felt it many times.. It seems I feel it more when it is a target animal one that I set my sights on and then when it's over it's like it really is over!! Walt
Old 11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Good post on feelings about deer we've killed.

I've thought about this often over the years. While I must admit that I feel a larger adrenaline/euphoria burst over a large, mature buck that I've taken, there's still the same feeling to a lesser extent for the smaller does and fawns I've killed as well.

As for the sadness/ remorse factor, I've groomed these feelings to be the same for whatever animal I've killed. Meaning that I don't feel more remorse for a big buck than I do for a young doe. I try not to show any favoritism. Very similar to when I was married and had step children as well as my own. No favoritism. It may be there deep down, but my mind won't let me admit it. The bottom line is that I feela sense of remorse for every deer that I kill.

Actually, I'm an animal lover even though I kill them sometimes. Kind of weird huh? When I told a buddy that I shot 2 does this year to get my earn a buck tags, he said that at least I accomplished my sense of kill. I was astonished and a bit angered. I told him that that had never entered my mind. To me, the kill is the anticlimatic part of the hunt. The sad part that I quickly put out of my mind. I do this by quickly reverting back to the exciting part of the hunt and the feelings it brought just before I pulled the trigger. I also start thinking about all the delicious meat I'm going to have in the freezer. It's like I want to skip the middle (kill) part.

It is sad to some extent but it is a necessary part of hunting and I will keep doing it.

Great post Greg. I agree 100%. It's the pursuit, experience, and accomplishment....not the kill. And I too feel that way on all animals,not only on a mature buck.

I'm glad some of you feel like me....and to think, I thought I was just getting soft
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Heck, I feel that way about the does I shoot. It's just part of the territory.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

That's refered to as compassion.. Atlas. A trait every human should have but many (sometimes it seems most) do not.

Luckily most (I would hope) hunters understand it.
Duke, you hit the nail directly on the head! Very good post, you to Atlas! I was brought upthis way and will always be like this. My love for animals goes along ways, I will deffinately raise my kids as I was raised and hope they feel the same way as i and a few here do feel. Talk is cheap with alot of people but you can really tell the folks who mean it. Good post guys!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

Have you tried treating these symptoms with grilled backstrap?
You are right, but I can get backstraps from a 1.5 and they are mighty tasty.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many times I don't even bother posting to a thread because someone else said my same feelings exactly, as did Gregh did on this one to killing animals.

For me, these days,when I kill a particularbuck I have gotten to know on personal level, it's like killing an old friend.. I neverfelt the "old friend feeling"...until I started targeting specific bucks in 1998, thanks in part to a kind man that really taught me alot and inspired mewith bowhunting whitetails.

I have to admit, give me aparticular buck I know well and have worked for overa 160 class buck that happens to come strolling by in the rut, I can honestly say I would take the one I worked on..and care less about the score. hahaha but I dont mind seeing the odd 160 either..I wouldnt complain..I think you know what I mean..
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I can tell you this, Shed.....I wouldn't trade my buck from this year for a P&Y from ANYWHERE.

I hear ya, brother. It's bittersweet that I won't see him in the woods, again.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

Many times I don't even bother posting to a thread because someone else said my same feelings exactly, as did Gregh did on this one to killing animals.

For me, these days,when I kill a particularbuck I have gotten to know on personal level, it's like killing an old friend.. I neverfelt the "old friend feeling"...until I started targeting specific bucks in 1998, thanks in part to a kind man that really taught me alot and inspired mewith bowhunting whitetails.

I have to admit, give me aparticular buck I know well and have worked for overa 160 class buck that happens to come strolling by in the rut, I can honestly say I would take the one I worked on..and care less about the score. hahaha but I dont mind seeing the odd 160 either..I wouldnt complain..I think you know what I mean..
Idon't believe you! lets say you've had your eye on a specific 140 class buck and a 160 comes out and surprises you you'd let him walk! Gimme a break!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give me a break Dr.Andy.. read the post.. I said I wouldnt COMPLAIN! Hell no I would kill the 160...and be stoked..... nevermind..
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM

I guess this is the feeling (remorse) I feel after taking a deer. It's a kind of sadness in a way. I've often thought as I kneel next to a deer, that I wished I could let it get one year older. Sire more bucksor have another fawn.
But at the same time I know that killing that deer is the way God intended me to use this creature.
That feeling lasts from the time I take the shot until the time I start celebrating.

Quick Reply: "Better" deer = More remorse??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.