Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you get your confidence back? >

How do you get your confidence back?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you get your confidence back?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you get your confidence back?

As many of you know I hit a deer last friday and never recovered... (I take the blame for this as I probably didnt wait long enough - even though I waited overnight, and I didnt have quick enough access to a tracking dog)..

Anyway, its been eatin at me all week, there is nothing I hate more than to hit a deer and not recover it. To add to that, the last animal I shot at w/ a bow was late in the season last year and I cleanly missed at 15 yrds (he busted me as I finished my draw cycle and ducked under the arrow, and I just held to high)....

Right now I dont even feel like going out this weekend w/ a bow...

I had time before the shot to get settled and mentally told myself to focus and kill... But the shot was a blurr, and I ended up taking a 30yr (with-in my range) shot. My biggest mistake is shooting at him during a slow walk and probably contributed to the arrow hitting back a bit...

After hours of tracking I was thinking about my "Bowhunting Record" and its miserable... I'm too embarrassed to tell it, and thinking back I think I just get a bad case of buck fever or dont compensate enough for the elevation, or something dumb like not holding my form... Yes Ive killed animals w/ my bow, quite a few actually, but an incident like this gives me doubts about my shooting ability.

I comfortably practice out to 60 yrds and can consistently get 3" 30 yrd groups. Ive killed out to 45 yrds. But all this means nothing when an animal gets away....

So heres what Ive tried to regain confidence:

1. Practiced (my practice amount slacks off once season starts)
2. ???

My only thought is to attempt to take the first doe i get w/in 15 yrds, to prove to myself I can do it...

Any thoughts/suggestions???
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Default RE: How do you get your confidence back?

That's a tough break man. As difficult as it is, you just gotta let it go. Yeah, it sucks...but stuff happens. Learn from it. Experience is the only thing that will really help w/ the buck fever and such. Get back in the saddle, keep practicing, and I like your idea of whacking the first available doe. That will indeed do wonders to gain confidence.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree get a doe tag and shot the doe it should help get over(or at least help control) buck fever a bit..But of course don't loose buck fever just get it after the shot.[8D]

Mat
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM

Hmm, The first doe idea is what worked for me. I actually went 0/5 with my bow last year. All me, the bow was dead on every timeI checked after the miss. I actually didn't even gothe last 2 months of seasonbecause of this. It was all just due to me rushing the shot and not calming myself down. I just practiced more all summer, but i practiced while talking to myself in my head. Also reminding myself to count to 3 mississippi, which seemed to help calm me more. This year i'm 2/2. Still shoot the same bow/arrows/everything. But the first doe i seen i got her within 11 yds, and it helped a ton.

Wether that works for everyone else, dunno. Ya just have to keep trying.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM

I struggled with the same problem earlier this year after I missed 2 wolves with my bow, on video. Dude, you just gotta get back on the horse and realize that sometimes things happen. The worst thing to do is give up.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think your "bowhunting record" is miserable perhaps you should start a "new one" but keep it 15yds and in instead of out to 45 yds. As you build your new record and confidence then maybe you could start to expand your distance from 15 yds.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you bowhunt long enough, you're bound to find yourself in some kind of a funk, sometime.

When my confidence is blown, I do some unconventional practicing - shooting maybe 15-25 arrows at various ranges. Try a few elevated shots if you have such a place available. Maybe simulate a few hunting scenarios - try to get your heart rate up by standing on a stepladder or a 5-gallonbucket or taking a seated shot at a weird angle. Put somebranches between yourself and the target and pick a hole.

When you make yourself nervous - that's when you start forgetting things like "am I anchored right," "is my bow torqued," "am I using the same grip as usual..."

This will teach you to go through a progression, even when you're in a stressful scenario.

Visualize a real-life hunting scenario, not just a foam target.

If you have the option, maybe take one practice shot before you head out next time - even if you're shooting into the blockusing the headlights of your car.

Just that little encouragement in the back of your mind - so as to say "Hey, I just made this shot 3 hours ago in the driveway" - goes a long way.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing boosts your confidence more than a 15 yard shot.

I know most of us can shoot nice groups at 30, 45, and sometimes even 60 yards. But that don't mean jack when bowhunting. I'm not a great archer, but I can shoot a 300 on 5 spot occasionally, and I can shoot 4" groups at 45 yards. But you'll NEVER catch me shooting at a deer past 30 yards. I shot the buck in my avatar at 35 yards, and I'll never do it again. I hit him too far back, and it took 2 days to find him.

Every other deer I've killed has been less than 20 yards. I haven't been doing this very long (4 years), but I've killed 9 deer with my bow in 4 years, and I've only wounded one that I didn't recover (deer ducked the arrow, hit above the spine). 8 out of the 9 kills were under 18 yards. It's just hard to miss at that range IMO. Get em in to 12 to 18 yards and your confidence will come back real fast!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with the posts so far, and would like to add that shooting before you head to the stand can build confidence greatly. Your shooting cannot slip when the season starts. you are walking through briars, banging equipment around and things can get out of whack.I like to take even just 5 minutes to shoot at 20, 30 and 40 yards with my broadheads before every other, if not every, hunt. not only does this reassure you that your equipment is still functioning properly and is sighted properly, but it adds a great deal of confidence when you head for the tree knowing that you are "dead on" and telling yourself that if that animal comes within YOUR effective range (must be set by you and no one else), you can make an ethical shot and humane kill.

I find that a somewhat "cocky" attitude adds confidence and isn't always a bad thing in bowhunting as long as it is contained and isn't reckless. I like to reassure myself that i WILL kill any animal that comes in range. in telling myself this, for self affirmation, i concentrate twice as hard when the animal finally does give me that shot i have been waiting for. I am not openly cocky, a jerk or "mouth" to anyone, it is contained, and i don't think i am better than anyone else, i simply use this as a motivator for myself, that i WILL make my hunt end in success if i get the chance.

just some of the things i do to stay confident in my abilities, good luck and keep your head up and get after 'em!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

!.

Quick Reply: How do you get your confidence back?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.