Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Hunter" class 3D question about sights >

"Hunter" class 3D question about sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Hunter" class 3D question about sights

Old 11-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Hunter" class 3D question about sights

I was looking through some info, last night, about a couple 3D shoots I want to compete in next year.....and they said the sight could not be of the "slide bar" variety.

I shoot a Viper Predator that has a slide-out mechanism. Is this what they're talking about? I'm new to this type terminology.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Hunter" class 3D question about sights

Pretty sure they mean one where you can dial in the yardage, must be fixed pin. If I am wrong, someone please correct me!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your Viper is legal. The "slide bar" is like the adjustable single pin sights, or a worm drive sight like my Axcel 3000.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Below is a picture of a sight with a slide bar. It's a bar that fits into a dovetail mount on your bow. You can have fixed pins on a slide bar and some hunting type sights come with that kind of mount on a very short bar. The rule needs some clarification because they are banning some sights that will not extend as far as quite a few that have fixed but very long mounting brackets.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Well....My Viper has that type mount. That's why I asked.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Usually a sight with a dovetail mount isn't illegal, but clubs can set their own rules in unsanctioned shoots. Like I said, you need to contact the folks in charge of these tournaments and ask them about your sight, specifically, to get the rule clarified.

By the way, do it by e-mail, not over the phone if at all possible. I know of too many people that have gotten verbal okay over the phone, only to show up and not be allowed to shoot in the class they wanted because their equipment wasn't allowed. If you've got e-mail verification, print it off and take it with you. That way you can tell them you had your equipment pre-approved if you run into any hassles.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think by "Slide bar" or "slider" style they are probably talking about what RJ mentioned, those single pin HHA style sights where you can slide the back end of it up or down to preset yardages.

The slide bar sight that Arthur shows is perfectly legal for IBO or ASA Hunter class competition as long as you are using a fixed pin aperture and don't adjust teh gang on the course. In other words leave it locked.
There are too many hunting style sights on the market right now with bars that can be slid in and out for sight plane length (Ie. Spot-Hogg, copper John, Viper, Sword etc) for that to be what they are talking about.
These are the MOST popular type sights for hunter class competition.

Then again I could be wrong ........ but I'd bet a $1 that by "Slider" they mean the single pin adjustable type like an HHA Optimizer etc. If they meant the other 3/4 of the people who shoot Hunter class 3D in my area wouldn't be able to shoot there.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Matt!

Thanks, All!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I think by "Slide bar" or "slider" style they are probably talking about what RJ mentioned, those single pin HHA style sights where you can slide the back end of it up or down to preset yardages.

The slide bar sight that Arthur shows is perfectly legal for IBO or ASA Hunter class competition as long as you are using a fixed pin aperture and don't adjust teh gang on the course. In other words leave it locked.
There are too many hunting style sights on the market right now with bars that can be slid in and out for sight plane length (Ie. Spot-Hogg, copper John, Viper, Sword etc) for that to be what they are talking about.
These are the MOST popular type sights for hunter class competition.

Then again I could be wrong ........ but I'd bet a $1 that by "Slider" they mean the single pin adjustable type like an HHA Optimizer etc. If they meant the other 3/4 of the people who shoot Hunter class 3D in my area wouldn't be able to shoot there.

I meant to respond to this earlier. I was going to post the same thing.........ASA, IBO, and NFAA all allow you to use these types of sights on the 3D course and I've never heard of them being illegal in HC at any local unsanctioned stuff either.