Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler restriction >

Antler restriction

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
58.82%
No
27.45%
Only Gun Hunters
13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Antler restriction

Old 11-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Antler restriction

How many of you would favor it and what would be your guidelines on the restriction's?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler restriction

I am from PA and love the antler restrictions here. My part of the state is atleast three points on a side and the western parrt of the state is atleast 4 points to a side. We have seen a great improvement in antler quality. The only problem with our antler restriction is if you have an old deer a deer with bad genetics there is no way to cull it.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to see them try doing a 4 pt. restriction on one side of the antlerevery other year for about 5 years for the gun season and see if the results show any improvement on the size of bucks taken with bow and gun here in Minnesota. The whole state wouldn't have to try it but a few different zones could give it a try. The reason i am asking this is Minnesota use to be in the top 5 in taking booners and pope ang young bucks, its gone down hill alot the last ten years at least where i hunt. I'm kinda curious as to what everyone else thinks.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

I am from PA and love the antler restrictions here. My part of the state is atleast three points on a side and the western parrt of the state is atleast 4 points to a side. We have seen a great improvement in antler quality. The only problem with our antler restriction is if you have an old deer a deer with bad genetics there is no way to cull it.
How many deer they estimate you have there? I think here in Minnesota they estimate our herd at 750,000 or so in there some where. It use to be almostdouble that when the big buck hunting was excellent.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm from Pa also andI like the antler restrictions that we have. We are getting older bucks in the herd. We used to kill all the spikes and yearlings. They never got a chance to mature.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

I think some places in Minnesota really need it especially where I hunt. There are a lot of spikers taken so i think that we should just protect the spikes and forkhorns.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No restrictions here, and I prefer it that way. Its not about the health of the herd, its about money. If they were to be implemented here, no way around it, and I got to pick the regs, it would be on public land only.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

No restrictions here, and I prefer it that way. Its not about the health of the herd, its about money. If they were to be implemented here, no way around it, and I got to pick the regs, it would be on public land only.
Good point!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

I'm from Pa also andI like the antler restrictions that we have. We are getting older bucks in the herd. We used to kill all the spikes and yearlings. They never got a chance to mature.
How many deer do they figure you have in PA?I've seen alot of nice bucks shot from that state this year! Kudos to there buckmanagement IMO!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Here in SC we need to do away with Dog drives first before we can worry about antler restriction. I am all for the restriction but bigger fish to fry first.

Quick Reply: Antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.