Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler restriction >

Antler restriction

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
58.82%
No
27.45%
Only Gun Hunters
13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Antler restriction

Old 11-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Antler restriction

They are thinking of going to 4 point here.I voted no,for the simple fact I have never found a good way to cook them.

Truth where I've seen them have restrictions I've seen smaller Bucks just left lay and gone to waste.

big rockpile
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: big rockpile

They are thinking of going to 4 point here.I voted no,for the simple fact I have never found a good way to cook them.

Truth where I've seen them have restrictions I've seen smaller Bucks just left lay and gone to waste.

big rockpile
I've found 200lb bucks here in Minnesota with there antlers cut offon toomanyoccasions while i've been pheasant hunting! Its really sick seeing that but people are going to do it regardless I think.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I am in favor of the restriction myself, however we need to make sure our land can support it. If I remember correctly a deer eatssomething likea ton of food. There needs to be enough habitat and nutrition to support the antler growth in conjuction witht the restriction. I am in no way claiming to be a biologist or expert but it must be a consideration we can,t forget. We hunt to maintain a balanced and health herd. Everyone wants a wall hanger myself included. I am in favor of what ever supports a lifetime of hunting oppurtunity for generations to come.

BEING FROM PA MYSELF I AM A SUPPORTER OF OPENING SUNDAY HUNTING
Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr October

I am in favor of the restriction myself, however we need to make sure our land can support it. If I remember correctly a deer eatssomething likea ton of food. There needs to be enough habitat and nutrition to support the antler growth in conjuction witht the restriction. I am in no way claiming to be a biologist or expert but it must be a consideration we can,t forget. We hunt to maintain a balanced and health herd. Everyone wants a wall hanger myself included. I am in favor of what ever supports a lifetime of hunting oppurtunity for generations to come.

BEING FROM PA MYSELF I AM A SUPPORTER OF OPENING SUNDAY HUNTING
Good point October! Minnesota is a huge Agricultural state so i think we would be fine in that department, Although Northern Minnesota is more wooded and has less Crops to feed on so that might be a concern up there.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happy to have them here in PA, wish my area was 4 points instead of three.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well i live and hunt in MN and would like to see some type of change to increase the numbers of mature bucks in our herd.

Seemslike mosthunters in this state want to kill anything that has bone coming out of it's head so maybe antler restrictions would be a benefit.

However, I would rather see the rifle season movedback a few weeks as has been done in Iowa, Wis, Kansas, Ill, etc. Fewer bucks would be taken if the rifle season were moved out of the seeking phase of the rut but hunters would still be able to shoot whatever sized bucks that they want. I fear thatARmay simply be a short term bandaid as it would onlyprotect the yearling bucks with inferior genetics which would have some long term consequences to the quality of the bucks in MN

But I do agree that AR woud be a improvement over what Minnesota is doing currently
Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont get it....i can shoot a huge bodied 8 point(3-5year) with an undersized rack...and shoot a small bodied8-10point(nicer rack 2-3 year)and people will say the10 point is the better Trophy.

they are all trophy's if you ask me....even the does.

an antler restriction is the dumbest idea i ever heard of....some Bonehead politician who thinks hes a huntermust have came up with that one.

i agree there is no point in shooting a spike or a fork for most hunters....But what about the guy whos trying to feed his family.

then what after all this Management and everything...and big racked bucks are running everywhere...then whats so special about a big racked buck if everyones shooting one... i havent shot any huge racked bucks ...but so what that doesnt mean im not proud of every deer that ive shot...if i get a huge rack im just gonna eat him the same as a small racked deer.

Im a fisherman first and its funny when i catch a5-6 pound bass in the Mississippi river and some Bonehead tells me that thats little because he caught him a12 pounder in Texas....when the truth is that6 pound bass in the Mississippi is like catching an12 pounder down in Texas.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

I dont get it....i can shoot a huge bodied 8 point(3-5year) with an undersized rack...and shoot a small bodied8-10point(nicer rack 2-3 year)and people will say the10 point is the better Trophy.

they are all trophy's if you ask me....even the does.

an antler restriction is the dumbest idea i ever heard of....some Bonehead politician who thinks hes a huntermust have came up with that one.

i agree there is no point in shooting a spike or a fork for most hunters....But what about the guy whos trying to feed his family.

then what after all this Management and everything...and big racked bucks are running everywhere...then whats so special about a big racked buck if everyones shooting one... i havent shot any huge racked bucks ...but so what that doesnt mean im not proud of every deer that ive shot...if i get a huge rack im just gonna eat him the same as a small racked deer.

Im a fisherman first and its funny when i catch a5-6 pound bass in the Mississippi river and some Bonehead tells me that thats little because he caught him a12 pounder in Texas....when the truth is that6 pound bass in the Mississippi is like catching an12 pounder down in Texas.
If your not for it thats fine!Don't be barking at me because i would like to improve my buck heard in my area! Wow!!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

So your measure of Quality is nice antlers? some Bucks just dont have it in them.
not every guy can play linebacker in the NFL and most bucks dont have it in them to ever make it into the record books....no offence to you guys i just dont like the idea. for alot of reasons
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

My measure of quality is spending time in the woods enjoying what I love! If I can get a nice buck, thats a plus! If not, oh well! I'm still doing what I love to do and thats bow hunting! The thing is our buck herd here in Minnesota has gotten terrible from what it use to be, it would be nice to get it back!

Quick Reply: Antler restriction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.