Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler restriction >

Antler restriction

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
58.82%
No
27.45%
Only Gun Hunters
13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Antler restriction

Old 11-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler restriction

Have a meeting with hunters in your area.... if you all agree.... then dont shoot any spikes forks or baskets. it doesnt need to be a law tho. for the most Part id say 90% of Bow huntersgo out of their waynot to shoot Spikes and forks, time is on our side and chances are that we see somthin bigger by the time season ends...the more presure deer get the more they change their patterns...Bowhunting has boomed in the last 10 years...big bucks are moving before daylight alot of times.... i dont know for sure... but i do know if you want a big buck that more times than not most guys have to work their asses of for them.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have no problem with AR's but as far as a meeting with other hunters everyone would agree and then still shoot a spike. Maybe on a nice chunck of private but never on public.

I get the sense that more and more guys practice QDM to some degree W/O a law. AR's are also great for guys who see alot of sublegal bucks but there are alot of guys out there that don't see a dozen deer of either sex a season never mind have the opportunity to be selective. Treestands grow lie fruit on the trees around here which makes it pretty tough.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am in favor of ARs, but a few guys have brought up some good points about old bucks that may only have 3 to a side on a 4 toa side AR area. There should also be a stipulation that if a buck has a x points to a side or a 16" spread or greater it can be harvested.It is an imperfect system, but I like it.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alghough I'm a proponent, I doubt that may many states where the population is high will ever adopt the practice. I also don't agree with it in regard to youth hunters.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wish georgia had them for your first buck of the season and not just the second.