Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow found in gun kill. >

Arrow found in gun kill.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow found in gun kill.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow found in gun kill.

I thought you guys might like to see this. I shot this buck yesterday during the Illinois gun season. As he was running away I noticed a funny looking spot on his back. It ended up being about 20" of arrow that had gone high through his back at a quartering away angle. The arrow had gone through a vertebrae and out of the other side. He did not appear to be bothered by it as he was chasing does when I shot him. The pic is after I skinned him, I put the arrow back in the show the angle.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow found in gun kill.

It's amazing how tough deer are.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good to see you shot him! That don't look good when people see an arrow sticking out of a deer when out driving around.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Was the broadhead still on the arrow? If it was, what kind was it?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats amazing...Im suprised it didnt bother him.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 PM

yea wat kind of arrow and that is amazing how strong they are and how far you shoot him from
Old 11-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amazingly tough animals that is for sure. Just goes to show, high high the actual back line is compared to the spine and that many people see a shot through the animal as something different than what actually happened. Many would suspect that shot to be under the spine and some would call it "no mans land". That kind of shot leads to the myth of "no mans land".

Thanks for sharing rdy2hunt.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Wouldn't some people argue their point that there is a "no man's land" after seeing those pictures? I don't really get what you are saying here.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mjhamel

Wouldn't some people argue their point that there is a "no man's land" after seeing those pictures? I don't really get what you are saying here.
What he's saying I think is that stay away from that area, we call it the hollow spot where i hunt! Its a very common wound where people think there in the lungs but are not, there above them! Typical blood trail like a flesh wound, bleeds good for a while and peders right out, seen it many times!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

No Shultzy, I'm saying that "No mans land", "void", "hollow spot" doesn't exist. Period. That arrow in this buck I believe and rdy2hunt can correct me is above the spine....and the shot many THINK is below the spine just like now.

The spine is much lower in a deer than many think, some spots on a mature animal it's 6" below the hair line/back line of a deer. Many think they are below the spine when the are NOT. It's possible to break bones in the spine without breaking the spine or spinal cord, the deer will be fine as in this case. (again, rdy2hunt, correct me if I'm wrong).

Quick Reply: Arrow found in gun kill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.