Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands? >

Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands?

Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands?

Honestly - no exaggerating... How far do you walk to your archery stands?

Personally, most of my hikes are at or under 700 yards. I map them out carefully - so I know almost exactly.

My shortest walk is 200 yards.

I try to keep it under 800 if I'm walking in full gear with climber and daypack in hilly terrain, b/c that's about the point where I start to reallybreak a sweat. Besides, early archery season is full foliage, so it's easy to miss yourtree if you're going in deep on memory alonewith no tack line. And it's hot. Anything beyond that - I'm tying clothes to my climber and getting dressed at the base of the tree.

For what little rifle hunting I still do - I do have a few areas that are 1 mile+ from the road, but for those hunts, I either already have hangers in place, or I hunt from atop large rocks or just out of a ground blind. Those hunts don't come until late November/early December, so the weather is cool. I just like to avoid the crowd. Horrific drags.

What about our video guys? Do you guys have to pick stands closer to the parking area due to the amount of video gear you're lugging? Or do you just hunt from pre-hung hanger sets?

Also, how much weight are you guys carrying. I've got a 16-pound treestand, maybe 10 pounds of gear/food in my daypack and a 5 pound bow. 25# on my back. 5# in my hands.

What state are you guys hunting? What is the terrain like (flat/hilly/rocky/swampy)?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands?

A couple hundred yards to some.A mile plus to a couple others(depends on the wind)
Old 11-13-2007, 01:20 PM

My shortest is 200 yards but I usually walk between .5 to 1 mile. It's tough to go shorter because I hunt public mostly and try to get out away from most people. Coinidentally my shortest walk is on private ground. I have 20 lb climber with my harness and clothes attached, probably about 25 lbs. Then my bow weighs about 6 fully dressed. In te early season, I try to walk really slow because you start sweating in a hurry.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

With my current set ups I don't think I ever have to walk more than 1/2 a mile. A few are only a couple hundred yards.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 PM

The main stand that I archery hunt from is about 250 yds from the back door.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry my hunting 'outer' gear in my pack, I walk between 200 yards to a mile....which is a loooong walk in the dark. I walk further than most because I enjoy it.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM

My spots vary immensely, depending on public/private land, parking areas, etc. I hunt a wide variety of properties, so that changes things as well. My farthest spot is a very strenuous walk of about a mile. This I do with my climber, my waders (to cross a creek and escape other hunters), and my pack, which adds up to well over thirty-five pounds on my back. Suffice it to say that I don't like to do it more than two days in a row! I usually walk to this spot with no shirt on to avoid sweating, provided the temperature is at least 45 degrees. When colder, I'll wear one light layer and then dress when I get closer.

But, I have also had good success in places that I can reach with an easy stroll of a hundred yards from the truck.

I always get myself into a mental dilemma with carrying my climbing stand into far-away places. I usually end up taking it, but question my wisdom. If I take it, I feel compelled to use it because of the great advantage it gives me. However, if I didn't take it, I think it would force me to adapt more as a hunter and utilize natural cover to successfully take deer from the ground, and might make my job easier in the long run by packing less gear.

Jon
Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Shortest is .5mi.

Longest is .7mi

Sometimes my wife will drive me to my entrance point......but typically I hoof it. if she drives me.....I can cut the walk in half.....maybe a little less than that.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

shortest is about 100 yards from the drop off spot along the highway. longest is about 2,000 yards but in rifle season i dont sit, i walk around from sun up till sun down. so...

Ryan
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really depends. At my camp, and at Dan's camp there are stands that are less than 200 yards that are great spots. Most of those are good early season stands though. Come the rut, honestly hikes are 1/2 mile to maybe 3/4 mileor better, especially at Dan's place. Most spots I have prehung stand already, but I carry a bag with WAY too much in it, that I would guess at 10-15lbs. My favorite chase phase stand at Dan's is a good 3/4 mile hike and I have to pack a climber in there, my non typical light is still about 20lbs with the pack......I'm guessing 30-35lbs on my back and my bow in my hand. I usually do pack my outer layer clothes in when doing this, or will tie them to the stand. I carry a lot of stuff with me, but honestly it keeps me in the woods longer and more comfortable, so I don't mind packing it in. Honestly I get paid to push a mouse all year long, so when season comes it doesn't bother me a bit to do a little work hiking and packing stuff in, I kind of enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Just wondering - How far do you guys walk to your stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.