Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking dogs..

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tracking dogs..

Does your state allow tracking dogs for wounded deer? Seems like a good idea and must sure cut back on the shot but not recovered deer.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tracking dogs..

Yes it is allowed in Tx. I'm working on training 2 of mine now. They are both mutts but they have good noses.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Ohio allows them but they must be leashed. I believe.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

You can use a dog to help track a wounded deer in michigan too, but it must be on a leash and you can't have a weapon with you.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:06 AM

New Jersey (at least as of last year) - "It is illegal to use dogs to pursue or run deer or black bear or to track wounded deer or bear"
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

NY allows you to, they also allow a licensed tracker to pack heat and dispatch an animal after dark if needed for you. Dan and I called in a member of Deer Search and the guy was super friendly and brought in his wirehair dachsund (sister of Rob's dog I believe) and it was amazing.......the dog brought us directly to the deer in no time.Fortunatelythe animal was alive and doing well and not mortally wounded but it was amazing to watch the dog work. I will have one of these wirehairs by next season.............and it will be from the same line that Rob's dog came from.

PA doesn't allow you to unfortunately (yet). To my knowledge though there is no legally defined line betweenwalking your dog in the woods and blood tracking a deer with your dog.........[8D]
Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rick James is right, it's illegal in PA but we are working on it. It's in the process and has been in the government for 2 years now. HB420 I believe. If anyone in PA wants this to pass, please contact your House Rep, Senator, Governor, and chairpersons on the Fish and Game committees and ask WHY this has not been passed. They are playing politics with it.....

I have one trained and ready. My Wirehaired Dachshund Axel but we legally cannot track until the animal is found and tagged.

It's ridiculous that we can't. I don't see why every moral or ethical means to find an animal is not allowed.