Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best tracking dogs?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default Best tracking dogs?

I need to by my son a puppy. I would like to get one that the family can enjoy and can work too. Has any one ever tried a basset hound as a tracker. Most of the people around here use a Lab. Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best tracking dogs?

Basset hounds are old hunting dogs and will trail a deer. Most any kind of dog can be trained as a blood dog, several people use daschunds.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Some dogs, regardless of breed, pick it up pretty quick. The best tracking dog I've ever seen wasa poodle/schnauzer cross. No lie. That was one bada** poodle.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Pudelpointers are supposed to be really good at that. Never have mine along during deer season though.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Spike

Never thought about a daschunds. That would be great too, the reason I was thinking basset hound was because of the height. We had a guy with a Lab come track one through a thicket this weekend and it was tough for him and us following him. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Red Bone............Bon Ami
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Ive got a dashund that I take squirl hunting, boy he loves it......also I used to have an english mastiff that had a thing for rabbits....spend an afternoon on the 4 wheeler chasing him around going after them....I miss that dog
Old 11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you talking about for tracking deer or for general tracking? According to some of the folks taking part in the raging catfight on another thread, that new breed of super beagle that can run a deer down may be your best bet if you are talking about deer hunting. When i was young we had a dog that was one hell of a mongrel mix, but he could track everythng from pheasants to coons. I miss him more than any of my old girlfriends.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Spike

I wanted one that would help recover a deer that has been shot and has run.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM

Lots of folks that are not normally alergic to dogs are allergic to basset hounds, apparently they have some kind of skin secretion that some people are allergic to, might be worth having the family spend a little time around a bassett before making a purchase.

Quick Reply: Best tracking dogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.