Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Issues

Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scent Issues

I am fairly new to using doe estrous. I used it twice last year and have used it once this year, and it seems to work during late pre-rut and the rut.

I am using Code Blue estrous doe pee, which is taken from a single deer, which makes sense to me. I have three questions:

1) I used probably at least a third of a bottle around my stand (in it all day)a week ago and won't have a chance to hunt until at least next weekend. I have kept the pee in the original bottle with the spray nozzle on it. Do you think it will have "gone bad" or "old" by next week under those circumstances? It's been kept mostly at room temperature.

2) It seems to me most of the doe pursuits I have seen in the field take place in the afternoon, not the morning. Have any of you noticed anything time-of-day sensitive about when bucks are inclined to chase does?

3) Should I "renew" the wicks or spray trails around my stand if I'm in the stand all day? If so, how often?

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent Issues

1) Pee breaks down fast at room temp, is it worth the risk?

2) I've noticed the same, but in mid rut there are no rules.

3) I don't, too much risk of getting busted while out of my cover.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Scent Issues

No, it will not have gone bad, as long as you have a current bottle. Ifyou get a strong ammonia smell or its a darkbrown color, get something new. But you may want to start keeping it in the fridge. It will slow down thechemical changes it goes through after reacting with oxygen.

I live in NE Ohio and last weekend they seem to be moving between 9:30 to 1PM. Its been off and on with the bucks. Some seem to be in full rut and others not at all.

You do not want to keep your wicks out there when you are not hunting. You should not have to renew or freshen them up if hunting all day. you do not want to over power the smell. It will cause them to blow and run. I use about a tsp, I just want a hint in the air to get that buck curious.

I have also switched to doc's extreme heat. Second year using and having great results. So far I have had 4 bucks come in and walk my drag line every tme with out getting spooked. To bad they have been too young but I'm watching a nice 130 class and hope his lite switch turns on.

Good luck