Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many have not scored because standards not met? >

How many have not scored because standards not met?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many have not scored because standards not met?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many have not scored because standards not met?

I was just curious about how many of you have passed on deer that did not meet your goals and are OK with being buckless?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many have not scored because standards not met?

I've done it so many times, its frustrating at times, specialy when you see them same bucks you passed up to get bigger only to be hangingfrom someonesmeat pollduring the gun season! I will continue to do this though, this year it paid off big for me!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I'm ok with being buckless, but at this point I'm deerless! I've let a couple 1.5 spikes, and a 3.5 half rack walk right by me, earlier in the season. At this point I need to start thinking, fill the freezer!!

I love tohunt mature deer, but I don't know what I would do withNO venison in the freezer! The young ones taste better anyway!!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm buckless and ok with it (kinda [8D]). I've passed onseveral different bucks that I would have shot last year. One I regret and probably should have shot. He was bigger than I thought at the time he was in my shooting lane and I passed. Confirmed by a sighting of him a week later [:@]. Actually I think I've had more bucks in bowrange this year than ever before. I lost count on how many 1.5 year olds I've seen. I raised the bar a notch for my standards this year. Hasnt' paid off for me obviously, but it sure is fun and I'm learning a lot more. Who knows, I still have 5 days to go for bowseason.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love tohunt mature deer, but I don't know what I would do withNO venison in the freezer! The young ones taste better anyway!!
Shoot a doe. I shot 2 does early on for meat in the freezer. The rest of the season I dont' worry about meat in the freezer. I just hunt for antlers on the wall.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Shoot a doe. I shot 2 does early on for meat in the freezer. The rest of the season I dont' worry about meat in the freezer. I just hunt for antlers on the wall.
Belive me I've been trying!!! I've had6inside 30yds, one at 6yds(on the ground), but I haven't been able to close the deal!!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 AM

I've lowered my standards to reflect what's going on in my life at any given time. I ate tag soup for 5 years straight because I set the bar too high and the taste was getting old. PA is a tough place to trophy hunt unless you have mucho time to put in on a great piece of land.

I'll continue to pass up small onesbut when abuck shows up that reflects about the best I can expect given my circumstances, he gets an arrow.I'm done with only gunning for one that is better than my best to date, although I will continue to look for him.

If I lived elsewhere, my thought process would be pretty much the same except the bar would be higher.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting thoughts jimimac. I was wondering if my standard would lower again if I went 5 or so years without scoring on such a high standard set. Or if I will be able to accept tag soup knowing I could have killed a lot of those bucks I've passed. Time will tell I guess.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it all the time.

I actually just ate Tag soup for the first time in a while...

I passed up this nice young 8 and never got an opportunity on anything bigger.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

My family doesnt care for venison so I mainly hunt for antlers.We keep some of the meat for burger but otherwise donate it to needy families. The wasted money and time eats at me if I go tagless but I cant justify killing something just for the hell of it. It has to be worth dealing with to spend the time and money of dealing with a kill.

Quick Reply: How many have not scored because standards not met?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.