Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday... >

Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday...

Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday...

Yesterday was a great hunt. Walking to my stand yesterday morning I could hear bucks trailing does and I also saw a raccoon scurrying about. "This is gonna be a good day," I said to myself.

At day break I was expecting to see a deer, nothing. Give the 'ole grunt call a few blows and wait a bit. Still nothing. My stand is down in a gully overlooking an oak flat...great place. Well, at about 7:20 I see a buck walking one of the ridges. He then heads back to where he came from until I gave a few more grunts. He started quartering-in, coming in my direction. He stopped at about 70 yards and thats when I saw him. He was a MONSTER. This is the biggest buck I've seen in MY life. Honestly, I didn't think VA would produce a buck such as this. The wind was favorable but he decided to continue on the ridge. I didn't see him after that. I moved my stand yesterday and hopefully I will see him again. BTW, this is bow hunt only land. Hopefully he doesn't cross over to the dark side and vice versa.

I once again passed on that basket rack 8 yesterday, he was tailing a doe. Had a shooter come by yesterday evening but had branches in the way...he was a nice 10, after another doe.

Heres a pic I found on the NET that I feel best represents what I saw.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday...

70 yards and you did not kill him???I don't know you or how you hunt, but if you use any scent products you have to try those silly "BUCK BOMBS".

They were like gold for me last year when they first came out and this year I shot and killed 2 OK bucks and 2 does that were all heading to the BOMB like they were dogs on a leash. If that buck you have your eye on is not paired up with a doe he WILL come in!!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck with him!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats to you man....ive only ever seen 130 class bucks in the woods in my lifetime
Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Planter

70 yards and you did not kill him???I don't know you or how you hunt, but if you use any scent products you have to try those silly "BUCK BOMBS".

They were like gold for me last year when they first came out and this year I shot and killed 2 OK bucks and 2 does that were all heading to the BOMB like they were dogs on a leash. If that buck you have your eye on is not paired up with a doe he WILL come in!!
Honestly, I've never even thought about trying the "buck bomb." I do use Code Blue Estrous but the scents were downwind of where this buck came out. I could only rely on my calls.

I hope he is sticking around that area and not just passing through.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't really surprise me. VA has great game when it comes to deer, turkey and bear. The whitetails in a lot of areas don't get the pressure they would otherwise due to residing in urban developments. Chances are that is where he normally hangs out and was on the prowl the day you saw him.

You may see him again. Put out some dominant buck lure.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Sounds like you have had some great hunts! You are seeing deer and spending time in the woods, enjoy and good luck with that bruiser.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know how ya feel i had abuck similar to that at 8 yards last wed. he wasn;t quite that tall but had a little bit more mass. it looked like baseball bats comin out of his skull
Old 11-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome deer. Hope he comes your way next time out. Glad to see some good stuff coming from the Old Dominion.

Quick Reply: Saw the biggest buck of my life yesterday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.