Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rabbits?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Rabbits?

Now that I've closed out my deer season, I've thought about all the rabbits around. The only time I've ever had the pleasure of eating them is when I get to go to fancy restaurants for work. And its good stuff.

Anyone on here bowhunt for rabbits for enjoyment and meat? Thought about trying it and going over to the pro shop to get the necessary blunt tips, etc. But would appreciate any and all advice on hunting and handling and cooking the meat. The wife's not too crazy about the idea. Doesn't want me to catch the rabbit fever. I did some reading on it and it seems like you're okay if you handle and cook properly.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rabbits?

Spent most of my youth shooting them. Get a recurve and get after them. They are great practice. I havent done it in years, but use to go stick cotton tails all the time.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

We used to run beagles, and let me tell you, there isn't much better than fried rabbit tenderloin. I've never tried bowhunting them, but I suppose it would be fun.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have two to my credit and both were head shots with the blunt rubber points that have a vew little pointy things on the end. I think I over cooked mine because it wasn't that great. Next time....

Tom
Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Loveeating Rabbits.Year round if I'm where their Legal.

big rockpile
Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

we use to use judo points.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you wait until after the first good frost you don't have to worry about rabbit fever. Try barbque rabbit in crock pot. Makes good sandwiches.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rabbits are excellent eating! Brown them up in some fry magic and put them in the oven with some rice and cream of mushroom soup and bake for 1 hour at 375 degree's. We use shoot rabbits as kids all the time with are recurves or 22's. Here in the northern parts of the USA a person should be safe eating rabbits with any month that has an R in it. For example (September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April.My dad told me that years ago so thats what i go by.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely see rabbits when I go hunting. There are so few fencerows around here anymore, about the rabbits I see are in town.[&:]

Quick Reply: Rabbits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.