Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting and ethics. >

Bowhunting and ethics.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting and ethics.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Bowhunting and ethics.

For the record, I have only taken one shot over 30 yards in the feild on game after killing dozens of animals. So I am just reporting what I have seen.

But I have watched a few people take some long shots in fields etc. a few times. And one thing I notice is the animal does not spook at the report of the bow, near as bad as say up close. In fact, I have witnessed one 60 yard shot, and noticed in the time the arrow took to get there, the deer did not duck, or flinch, just looked at us before getting nailed. Could be a few things. Newer bows are much quieter. My old PSE is very loud. My Commander doesn't hardly make a noice. I remember my old PSE whitetail hunter used to scare me to death at the shot. No wonder deer would jump before the shot.

But I have taken shots at deer at like 15 yards with my old old compound, and the deer is alert looking right at me. And I know when I release they will jump forward and down. And sure enough they do.

Has anyone else noticed this or witnessed a long shot.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I myself haven't but a cousin of mine shoots a new Mathews, last year out west elk hunting in Montana he wounded 2 different elk at 45 yards and at 55 yards. He told me both shots the arrow was going perfect and just like that the bull took a stepandhe hit itback in the guts and the other he hit in theknuckle of the shoulder. He is an excellent shot while practicing at these ranges. He wasn't to happy!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For the record, I have only taken one shot over 30 yards in the feild on game after killing dozens of animals. So I am just reporting what I have seen.

But I have watched a few people take some long shots in fields etc. a few times. And one thing I notice is the animal does not spook at the report of the bow, near as bad as say up close. In fact, I have witnessed one 60 yard shot, and noticed in the time the arrow took to get there, the deer did not duck, or flinch, just looked at us before getting nailed. Could be a few things. Newer bows are much quieter. My old PSE is very loud. My Commander doesn't hardly make a noice. I remember my old PSE whitetail hunter used to scare me to death at the shot. No wonder deer would jump before the shot.

But I have taken shots at deer at like 15 yards with my old old compound, and the deer is alert looking right at me. And I know when I release they will jump forward and down. And sure enough they do.

I have noticed that when I have taken deer at 25+ yards they don't seem to hear the shot coming as they don't move a muscle before the arrow gets there.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I myself haven't but a cousin of mine shoots a new Mathews, last year out west elk hunting in Montana he wounded 2 different elk at 45 yards and at 55 yards. He told me both shots the arrow was going perfect and just like that the bull took a stepandhe hit itback in the guts and the other he hit in theknuckle of the shoulder. He is an excellent shot while practicing at these ranges. He wasn't to happy!
You don't really believe him do ya?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Time of flight for an arrow moving at 250 fps which I would consider average for modern set ups is around half a second for a 50 yard shot. That is not a lot of time, especially for a relaxed deer. And at 30 yards its a hair under 4 seconds. I don't think a few 10ths of a second is going to make a huge difference in a deers reaction time.

And for the record I don't "wing" arrows at 40 and 50 yards and am rather offended at being told that. As unbelievable as it is to some there are quite a few people that practice a lot at ranges that far and beyond and are actually quite good at it. And for anyone that is willing to go out with a recurve and shoot without sights at 20 yards and tell me shooting with a modern compound with sights is unethical is a hypocrite.

And I honestly get tired of people throwing the "jumping the string" thing around. I have never seen a deer jump the string. And I have ran video for a buddy that shoots a bow that sounds like a 2x4 hitting an old screen door. I'm not saying it never happens, but I bet 9 out of 10 times the person just missed, period. I have seen studies on deer jumping the string and done some of the calculations myself and came to the same conclusion. For most deer to have the reaction time and be able to move enough to duck an arrow out of a modern bow they would have defy the laws of physics to do it.

I think in most cases someone miss judges the yardage, forgets to bend at the waste or screws the shot up at the last second. They see the deer jump as the arrow hits them (in a bad spot usually) and just assume the deer ducked the shot. Mostly because they don't want to believe they messed up.

My opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Some people learn theirlimitations other just keep testing theirs, the deer pay the hard price.
Bow hunting is an up close and personal thing learn it and love it.
Get close, get a gun or get out.
AGEED!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

You don't really believe him do ya?
Why shouldn't I? It's not only him that this has happened to.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Lets just say someone i hunt with took a 50 yard shot hit the deer, he was bleeding and tracked him all afternoon and still got away. in my head thats why i dont shoot over 30. i dont want to shoot a deer that is not going to drop fast, its not fair to the deer to make them suffer. its not just aboutbragging rights, they hurt to!
Old 11-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

what makes someone a jackass for using a gun some places you can not get close enough for a bow and in some areas the terrain is so hard it is near impossible to get to those good areas where the deer just hang out

it is unethical for you to put down other hunters for using legal and ethical means to hunt
ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Where does the line lay now with bowhunting and ethics? More or less I mean... how far is too far when it comes to bow hunting?
By nature and upbringing... I see no reason to shoot at an animal more than 35 yards away... and thats the extent at witch I will draw and shoot on a deer... I can get close, and i know I can kill at 15 - 20. 40 and 60 yard shots seem way too unethical for me to even talk about. Too much can go wrong, the possibility of wounding an animal is elevated about 50%.
So, just because you can hit a target at that distance, why would you shoot an animal that far?
Any jackass can kill with a gun from 50 to 200 yards... I thought the magic of bowhunting was supposed to be up close and personal? The cream of the crop?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree, back in the early 80s, when i started this game, I had deer jump my string at 10 to 15 yards. Happened with my recurve, black mamba and the old compound i used back then, black bear. I have yet to have an animal out past 20 every jump my string. Like I said, you need to know the animal. If you shoot at a tense animal, its going to jump, you account for that and aim low. If it is relaxed, its going to look first, not jump. Simple as that.

And for the record, ive shot only 2 animals out at 60 yards, hogs. Hogs dont jump period. And if you have ever hunted hogs, you will have no question on the action of a hog. Deer, my max has been 45 yardswith a compound, 20 yards with my recurves. Most of my shots are at 35, I live in west Texas and if you wait for a 15 yard shot, you will wait all season. Its not unusual to be hunting in nothing but tall grass. Go up to the Texas pan handle some times to see how many trees we have.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting and ethics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.