Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What reaction do you have to deer?? >

What reaction do you have to deer??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What reaction do you have to deer??

Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What reaction do you have to deer??

Most of the time im calm. Whena big boy steps out, i get excited, but dont get the shakes like when i first started. I immediately look at the deers eyes to ensure that I dont move when he can see me. Then start going through my procedures to insure things go well. With does and smaller bucks, it’s almost mechanical.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and I had this conversation the other day. I have been hunting for 21 years now and he is over 35 years into itbut I don't know exactly. He has killed numerous BIG bucks including one that was #18 all time in Ohio in the mid 90's. He says he still gets an adrenaline rush just watching does as do I. I have been shot at, over, and around, ridden bucking bulls, and jumped out of airplanes but nothing compares to the rush I get bow hunting.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Generally nervous at first. Settle down as the moment of truth nears.. Babbling idiot afterwards.

Although I will admit..with todays hunt pending I've been a nervous wreck all day!
Same for me...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get a shot of adrenaline right when I first see him,but it doesnt last long, for whatever reason a switch goes off with me if its a buck I want to shoot. Once I decide I want to try to kill this deer. I go into a zone, I get calm and I just focus on when/where I need to draw, and when/where I need to stop him to get a shot. After the shot I stay really calm right at first watching him run off. I try tostay low keyed/relaxed asmuch as possibleuntil I find him. Once I find them I really get pumped up with adrenaline again and I have to calm myself down sometimes to think straight.

I will admit, I have a hard time waiting 30 minutes.. unless I know its a marginal hit.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot some deer and after the shot I don't really get jitterybut mainly during and before the shot is my problem. I like when they stop whereI can't shoot because it calms me down. I've only shot 11 but I've never had the oppurtunity to see a mature deer on stand.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Yeah,pretty wild, usually have no problem once the deer enters good bow range, but if he/she is just out and not coming in it's nuts, the shakesstart.