Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why wont it work? >

Why wont it work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why wont it work?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why wont it work?

For the past few hunts, evening and morning hunts both. I have tryed rattling and have not actually had a buck come right in or even about 10-15 minutes after I rattle. Now during these hunts also I have seen bucks and once I catch sight of them I rattle. Then they come on a line to my stand. I was just wondering if maybe their not hearing me or just dont care about it when its that far away. Any Ideas? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why wont it work?

Rattling does not work like it does on TV. Many times the rattling is dubbed in afterward to make them look special. I've seen more deer run from rattling then come to rattling. It can work, just not every time. I would rarely rattle without seeing a deer.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rattling can be atough one to figure out. I've seen and heard where it will scare away the bucks and then the next time they come right on in to the exact spot where you are in the woods. Its amazing how they can pin point exactly to the tree your inwhere you were rattling! Everything has got to be right for this to work! Pre rut seems to be the best time for me to rattle Oct. 15th to Oct. 25th has been my best success here in Minnesota.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 AM

I don't like rattling too much, here in Va we have way too many does, at least where I hunt. I have done it and saw one buck. If you have ever heard to big bucks fighting it is amazing. I heard it about 6 yrs ago, two of the biggest deer in the block of 60 acers I was hunting. I mean it sounded like trees were falling, it was so loud and not real. It did not sound like the rattling we do, it was a slug -fest. The guy I was hunting with got to see the whole thing, I was too far from him to see it. He actually shot at the biggest at 8 yds after the fight, he missed!! With a smokepole!!! what a moron!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year it worked like magic and i filled my tag the first time i tried it, this year ive rattled many times and not drawn a single buck in except a little 6 point. Ive actually scared does away a couple times by rattling.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I cant say I have had to much luck with the rattling either. If I do rattle I dont try to be to agressive as I think if you are, you are more likly to intimidate another deer before it will make them come look. Just my opinion
Old 11-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rattling does not work like it does on TV.
This is so true.

On TV you have to remember that just about all these hunts are on managed high fence properties where the buck to do ratio is 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 so the bucks have to fight to mate.

Now in the real world thedoe tobuck ratio is more like 10 to 1 or higher, the bucks dont have to fight to mate as there is plenty of willing doe's per buck

Take out as many doe's as you can, let the bucks go for a couple of yearsto get the numbers back in check.

Now that statement is gonnaupset a few that only hunt bucks
Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you get the best results from rattling when you have a close buck to doe ratio.