Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons? >

Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons?

OK, I know this has probably been discussed to no end before, but I'm new to this forum and am considering going to mechanicals. I used to use Satellite Titan II's back when I had a larger (too large for me) bow. I DID have very good success with them, as they had a very large cutting surface. I would very seldom have to track a deer very far because they would bleed out quickly. The problem came when I placed a shot form 40 Yards and just hit the shoulder blade. It was a huge whitetail, and the tip of the broadhead bent back, and the arrow fell out. Anyway ... I have since upgraded to a nice Martin bow that fits me. I have been using Muzzys, and although I do get well placed shots, the deer don't bleed out as nice and I end up having to do a lot more tracking. I have heard that the mechanicals have a greater cutting surface, but I have also heard horror stories about arrows hitting bone and changing direction. I invite anyone here to chime in with your experience-based pros and cons.

THANKS!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons?

Spitfires...
Have never let me down
Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 AM

The Spitfires have always worked just as good as the Muzzys for me.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 AM

I just started using Spitfires this year, and I'm amazed at how well they work. Ok, I know someone will have something to say about this one, but I shot a doe at 60yds, and the spitfire shattered 2 ribs in and 2 ribs out, and still buried in the ground about3-4 in. Also, I had one blow through the upper leg bone on a doe! I'm sold now.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Rage Rage Rage 2 Blade, love them.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try NAP's Spitfire...You won't be disappointed...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 AM

I shot Muzzy 100gr for the past 8 years, was satisfied until last season when for whatever reason they were all over the place on my targets....I switched to Tekan 2 blade mechanicals this year, and am MAJORLY impressed. Made great shots on an early season doe anda 9pt a few days ago. The doe made it about 25yds, and the buck about 40yds, and both were dead within 10 seconds of the shot. Great blood trail as well.

But on the contrary, if you make good shots you're gonna have these kinds ofresults anyways.....but I'm an example of a fixed blade shooter for severalyears converted, and impressed with a mechanical broadhead....
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

The only problem I ever seen was on a Hog.The Blade curled up and no penatration.

Deer I've never had a problem.

big rockpile
Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 AM

I use spitfires and I have never had a problem.. Always pass through and deer usually bleed like stuck pigs..

Quick Reply: Mechanical Broadheads, Pros and Cons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.