Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I am tired...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I am tired...

Been hunting about 7 stands for 27 days (some only mornings, some morning and evening, some only evening). I have seen a total of 8 deer, one being the doe I took and posted pics of here. I am about worn out and the rut (if there is one in Louisiana, LOL) has not even got here yet. We usually don't see signs of the rut till mid to late November. Gun season opened the 27th of October and goes thru January 13. Anyone got any suggestions on what areas to hunt? Where would you hunt if you had 20 acres of hardwoods, 20 acres of thicket/hardwoods mixed (That can hardly be crawled thru on your hands and knees), and a huge hunting club surrounding all 40 acres, full of the orange army?

LT
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM

Default RE: I am tired...

Smack dab in the middle of that thick nasty stuff. When the orange army opens up, they deer will flock to the thickest most inaccessible cover they can find ---> right under your new tree stand! The option is finding a small strip of isolated cover that you would normally all but dismiss as unhuntable. I've seen deer get jumped out of the oddest places during our gun season in WI, right towards the end of the main rut normally.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Been hunting about 7 stands for 27 days (some only mornings, some morning and evening, some only evening). I have seen a total of 8 deer, one being the doe I took and posted pics of here. I am about worn out and the rut (if there is one in Louisiana, LOL) has not even got here yet. We usually don't see signs of the rut till mid to late November. Gun season opened the 27th of October and goes thru January 13. Anyone got any suggestions on what areas to hunt? Where would you hunt if you had 20 acres of hardwoods, 20 acres of thicket/hardwoods mixed (That can hardly be crawled thru on your hands and knees), and a huge hunting club surrounding all 40 acres, full of the orange army?

LT
I'd relocate to a different state.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have expected a litlle more technical response. LOL I know there are some on here who have better suggestions.

Burbaust, yours was already on my mind about the thick stuff. Now I just have to find a way in without pressuring the deer out.

LT
Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

I would get into the thick stuff. IT sounds like it is going to bea pain getting in and out of there quietly, so i am not sure. I would definatly find were they are traveling into and out of the thick stuff and sit there if you can do that without making any noise. With only 20 acres of thenasty stuff i'll bet you could rattle them out of there on a weekday when the pumkin patrol is at work. Find where they are entering and exiting, get the wind in your favor and rattle them out of there. I would definatly spend some time clearing a few paths and shooting lanes in there next spring. That way you can hunt it this time next year.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would cut a small path through the thick stuff and hang a standand let it rest for a week or two. Then I would go back and watch all the deer use the trail cut for them. A manmade funnel. Deer will take the easiest route in the thicket while still feeling secure because they are surrounded by cover.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a morning off fromhunting and watch the orange army from a distance hunt a piece and see where the deer go when they hunt a piece of ground. Do they make pushes or do they still hunt. If they make pushes I would hang back and watch what the deer use for escape routes and try to set up where they run to. Thick stuff is a great place to ambush a good buck when they are being pressured from gun hunters.