Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad??? >

Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Good
42.86%
Bad
57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad???

Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad???

The main property I hunt is 160 acres of mix of timber/cropland with the bulk, prob 90 acres in timber and 70 acres of standing corn. They do not harvest the crop until December usually. Should I consider this good or bad???? We aren't seeing the deer we feel we should. It seems as though they are very invisible and how do you think this will affect the rut?? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!! What do you all think!?!!?!?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad???

i voted good becaus if thats the only corn in the area it will be a magnet.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM

I say bad because they stay in that corn, it may be a magnet, one that they don't want to leave...[&:]
Old 10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

yea i agree, the late season we see numerous big deer, but mostly we just get pics of them, as they don't show up until after dark. I have mixed feelings in this situation. What ya'll think??
Old 10-31-2007, 07:34 PM

It's probably both a good thing and a bad thing. On one hand they have a strong, predictable feeding source into the winter which is good for herd health and patterning deer for the late season. And I honestly don't know how it would effect the rut. I think the weather will have of an effect than the standing corn does. Corn is routinely left standing on many of the properties around the area I hunt and I have never had too much of a problem seeing deer when I've been able to get out. But that is just my experience, I'm curious to know what others think about this as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

That is a good point, I like it for that reason alone, that it is a great food source throughout the season and provides for great herd health, but it seems it makes them less visible than past years(early season). Now that the rut is on they are starting to pop up. keep comments coming, interested to hear what ya'll think.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

I have limited experience with this (truly, hunting in general)but I said good as well. The reason;
I think that it is areliable food source that the deer will continue to come to. I also think the deer will have bedding areas outside of the corn field. If this is an accurate scenario then picking a hunting spot should be pretty easy. Also, during the rut the open woods will be great breeding grounds plus food (acorns). Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM

Well, I would say, if you are almost positive the does are spending their time in the corn during the day, set up a stand along a field edge to maybe a shot at a buck harassing one of the ladies in the field or on his way out of the field. Another option is setting up on the inside edge of a field corner. Hang a stand a few yards in from the field edge, preferably one with something that funnels them through that narrow inside corner, and try to find a tree that allows you to see in all directions fairly well. That way you can watch the field a bit for the does you suspect to be bedding down there, and your're also able to hunt a pinch point where bucks may have to move in search of said does. Obviously this is all hypothetical, but its a thought, Maybe try posting up a pic of the property(ies) and we look over it and offer more suggestions.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

if the corn is standing thats where they will be. They will bed in th corn fields, so this could work out two ways good for you if you make some drives through theree during gun season bad casue it will turn them noctournal.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

This is kind of good on one hand bad on the other. If they are bedding there, bad u dont want to destroythere bed. This will probl send them in the timber, so u could hunt treestand. Also could be good let u see more deer rther than lose them in the corn. You could set up just on the edge of the timber. So kinda good and bad

Quick Reply: Corn In Until December: Good Or Bad???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.