Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 great morning... >

great morning...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

great morning...

Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default great morning...

well i feel very good. took my freiend with me to hunt this morning. while walking in, we jumped about 6 deer. we said to each other "we better just post up here". so we sit down in our green folding trails, and about 20 min later I heara loud snort about 30 yards farther in the wood line then us. I have heard this on hunting shows, but never in real life. about 10 minutes later this large bodied deer, with antlers (couldnt tell how many points) is walking about 50 yards down the trail, coming towards me (I was about 10 yards in the woods on the same trail). then i see him, he comes up to about 40 yards and stops, smells, 3-4 lonnngggg sniffs and about 4 loud snort....errrrrttttttt!!! I almost jumped outa my folding seat by now, i could hardly move. this sound is amazing, its so loud. now i forgot to spray us down with scent spray b/c of my excitement 4 the hunt, so every time this deer would come, he would sniff, and then stop, snif again and then turn around and run away. he would then come back and do ths about 3 more times after i threw out a soft grunt, until he got his final wiff and high tailed it out. over the next hour, I saw another large bodied deer, who also smelt us after basically running to my grunt call. It was like there was a barrier of human scent within a 40 yard perimiter of us. I know whats why they stopped. about 6 deer did this today, and once they got within 40 yards, they would stop and then sniff ,and turn around. anyone ever have this happen? this morning was amazing. cant wait to go tomarrow morning, i think the rut is basicaly here. I have a question or 2:
1. if there were this many deer in this little area today, should they be there tomarrow? or do deer sometimes do their morning routine in different areas?
2. I guess the best place to sit tomarrow would be in the same general spot, if i saw deer today. even if they smelled me, its public land (liberty watershed in MD), so maybe they will continue their dailiy routine like today. OOOLLL WEEE i feel good now. if i see deer, should i stay there? havent really saw anything all year, so this is a big up. i think cold weather is helping. this buck was stomping his feet and snorting extremely loud. it was cool. sorry for long post, just need to vent
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: great morning...

You might have spooked them. Id let it cool off for a few days. It sounds like you had a swirling wind, or were in cover that caused the wind to swirl. A little more info on where you were located would make it easier to visualize. Try to find somewhere the wind will blow in one direction. Try to set up where the deer will have difficulty getting behind you and the wind in your face.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go back just really watch my scent. They will come back more than likely but they will be on gaurd. I have hunted public land and if you find deer you are lucky.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

i think i have a hot spot of some sort. i was told by a person who use to hunt this area,but now that he has private land, he told me basically exactly where to go. so now hopefully im in a hot spot. havent seen no other hunters there yet, so i think i may be golden. who knows tho, might go back tomarrow and not see no deer. i guess thats hunting
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

get back there!!! there is a doe or two around that is just about ready i am willing to bet, thats why all the agressive bucks, get there while there is still action!

It hashappened to me twice...early in the rut when most does are not in heat yet...bucks were lousy, just waiting...I sat in stands that all of a sudden had half a dozen bucks around them, several more mature ones....the week before, no deer, the week after, no deer.