Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The hard truth.... >

The hard truth....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The hard truth....

Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default The hard truth....

So when did most of you realize you had turned into your father??? For me, it was last night!

I've been working with my son on his bike riding. He can ride the heck out of it, but has a heck of a time getting out of the gate. Which is a problem, as it's hard to ride if you can't start. So it "clicked" last night and he was having a great time. He would stop just so he could show me how good he was at "taking off".

So he asks me if Icould ride a bike....You betcha I can! So I air the tires up and hit the driveway. Before long I'm feeling pretty good and yell, "hey son, someday you'll be able to do this". Then I proceeded to pull the bike up to a beautiful "wheely" and ride it out. Then it happened....I put a little too much force and the bike came over. In the process of putting my feet down I crumpled over my knee and it twisted under me. Then I heard the "pop" that sounded like my knee had blown. Talk about nervous...I'm getting ready for 2 weeks of bowhunting and that's just what I needed.

So as I'm rolling around on the ground, I'm thinking of all the "things" my dad had to show me he could do "better" and end up in the same situation.

That's when it hit me.....I'd turned into my father!

After repeated ice/heat packs I think I'm going to survive....

It felt even better after a big set of blue eyes said "Dad, I'm glad you're my Dad"....

Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Default RE: The hard truth....

I catch myself all the time using his phrases, walking like him, less and less hair to brush like him, quick to give hugs to my kids and discipline firmly but a loving word after the tears. It is difficult sometimes to think that I am becoming him, but I can't think of any human I would rather be like.
Great topic, especially due to the fact that I imagine that most of us are enjoying hunting from training from our fathers. I think I'll give him a call this afternoon.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

great story . somethings i am like him others not.my farther is past away but if i could be half the guy he was that would be great . boy i miss him
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, BT, your right on.. Glad you're not out of bowhunting commission this season either! My neighbor was down the other day looking at a few of my field journals with me. We happened across a pic of my dad. He asked me where "That pic of me was taken." I told him, that's not me that's my father. I teach my sons daily about their grampa they've never met, as mine died way to young.. 40...only through pix and stories and the lessons he taught me do they know him. But they do know him.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: btomlin

So when did most of you realize you had turned into your father??? For me, it was last night!
Hopefully never. What an a$$hole!!
Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every day for the last 20 years!