Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!) >

Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!)

Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Disgusted with myself

Sounds like Liver to me. I shot a doe early this year about mid body, and had the same thing on my arrow. Found her in about 70 yards. I'm sure he's down now go find him and post some pics.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, sorry to hear of the mishap/doubt. I hope you find him. I've been in this position myself and know what you're going through. I expect to hear the post of how you found him.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM

This is easy to say sitting here, but don't beat yourself up too badly. You have no idea how comforting it is, to me anyway, that a seasoned hunter such as yourself "messes up" once in a while.

You stated no guts or bad smell, but was there alot of blood on the arrow? I assume there was. I never feel too good about anything until I find the deer, so I know this nervousness you speak of......You'll find him though......I have faith in ya!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter
How much can a non-running deer move on an 18 yard shot? Maybe you didn't hit him as far back as you think.
Pretty darn far.

He's no rookie, he knows what he's doing, like he said he chose not to stop it, and brain lapsed on the follow thru. He'll find the deer, it hit the liver. It's just a matter of how squarely. The deer could be dead now, or it may take a couple hours.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

What I have seen with liver hits is about 150-200 yds. The deer "drowns" to death. Chest cavaity fills with blood.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with the follow-up Greg. Like others have said, you're one of the very seasoned guys on the forum so we all hope it works out. I know I've had times where I thought I hit back further than I wanted and then once I found the deer, it turned out to be a pretty good shot. Keep us posted.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

I wanted to thank you for two things:

1) Coming here and telling us how it "Really" is out there, sometimes.

&

2) For not jumping my ass when I have messed up in the past.

I'm sorry your hit wasn't what you'd hoped for.....but I have a TON of faith that you know what you're doing. I have no experience with a hit such as you described, but I wish you all the luck in your recovery.

I hope we see you holding him, soon.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 AM

Temps are going to top out around 60, I'd go out this afternoon and look. If you leave him overnight, very slim chance you'll have venison. Sounds like you definitely killed him, I know your broadheads are very sharp. Good luck Greg.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 AM

Sounds like he will be dead by now, if you shot him this morning, I would go and get him about 2:00pm. No guts, all liver, take about 2 hrs. to expire at the max. Go get your deer bro and post those pics. !!!
Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also, applaud you coming here and telling the hard truth! Many of us look to you, as a seasoned vet with the wall of accomplishments to prove you know, of what you speak.

It happens to the best. However in this case I'm with Gary, this guy is smoked! Go in there at 4pm and get him!

Good Luck Greg, Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.