HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/214966-disgusted-myself-update-page-13-a.html)

GregH 10-30-2007 09:21 AM

Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!)

Guys, I had a great morning. In the first 2 hours on stand, I saw 7 deer. Five bucks, a doe and a button buck. The bucks were grunting and sniffing around like crazy. I saw 2 1 1/2s, 4 point and 7 point, the old 11 point from Sun. night, the 120" 8 point from Sun. morning and a real big 9 point I'd never saw before. The 9 point was real heavy and tall, 10 &11" tines but was kind of narrow. Maybe 15 - 16". I guessed him at about 147" with a 15" spread.

Now for the disgusting part. When the 9 showed up on the scene, I couldn't get him in the binos for nothing. I just saw great mass with tall tines. I tried the can call and the grunt call, nothing was working.[>:]

I was patient and waited, finally all of the deer moved off without busting me. This was a miracle because most of them came from behind me where the wind was blowing to. As most of you know, my only scent control is to wash my clothes in plain water and air dry them outside.

About 10 minutes later the 9 point was spotted off to my left and heading my way. I still hadn't gotten a good look at this deer but I grabbed my bow just in case. As he approached I noticed he had 5 on one side and possibly the other side as well. I knew he was in the bounds of my goal (upper 140s), and decided to shoot this deer. That's when my head had a massive failure. Because of what happened to me last year, I decided not to grunt stop him. Bad mistake! He was moving fairly fast when I shot and I hit him far back.[:o]It was an 18 yard shot, no follow through.[&o]

I hit him right in the middle and he bolted off into a thick bedding area. After 20 minuted of kicking myself in my treestand, I got down and retrieved my arrow. Weird thing was, there was no guts or green stomach contents on the arrow. It had no oder on it either. I quickly and quietly got out of there. I've decided to wait until tomorrow morning to go look for him so I don't push him out of the area.I hope he stayes in the brush and doesn't go into the corn. I also hope the coyotes don't make a meal out of him. Big lesson learned....STOP THEM FOR THE SHOT!

Wish me luck.... I'll need it

Signed
Dumb A$$

rybohunter 10-30-2007 09:27 AM

RE: Disgusted with myself

How high up/down on the deer? Middle there too? Good blood on the arrow? You should get solid liver. If you shot over his guts and got all liver, he's smoked. Good luck with him, Im sure you'll find him, just a matter of what condition he's in.

txjourneyman 10-30-2007 09:28 AM

Greg the buck I killed last week sounds like the same scenario. I hit him a bit far back. I took the shot without stopping him. He was close and I didn't want to spook him. The arrow had no green or smell, just good red blood. It turns out I hit 1 lung and the diaphram. He only went about 50 yds with an easy blood trail.

Germ 10-30-2007 09:28 AM

Greg if he was Qrt away a bit I bet you got the liver.

You know the jury is still out on stopping a deer with me. I think you will find him.

GregH 10-30-2007 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

How high up/down on the deer? Middle there too? Good blood on the arrow? You should get solid liver. If you shot over his guts and got all liver, he's smoked. Good luck with him, Im sure you'll find him, just a matter of what condition he's in.

I was 23' up, shot was 18 yards, placement looked middle-middle, slightly quarting away.

LebeauHunter 10-30-2007 09:30 AM

You'll get him. I have confidence in your tracking abilities. :D

How much can a non-running deer move on an 18 yard shot? Maybe you didn't hit him as far back as you think.

Germ 10-30-2007 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I was 23' up, shot was 18 yards, placement looked middle-middle, slightly quarting away.
Gregh deer is dead, I bet you go out right now and find him.

burniegoeasily 10-30-2007 09:32 AM

Aim forward, or stop them. Both of those tricks work for me. If a buck is acting nervous, Ill aim at the shoulder blade and shot, at the humorus. As long as he is just walking. If he is not nervous, ill grunt/bleet to stop him.

You will find him. ;)

MOmightymite 10-30-2007 09:32 AM

Greg, dont kick yourself too hard! What did the arrow look like? Was it covered in blood if it didnt have green slime on it? Could have been a liver shot. Either way I am sure you will find him! I wish you the best of luck recovering him!

buckhunter14 10-30-2007 09:33 AM

Good luck, I think conditions are well. I think you shall find him!