HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/214966-disgusted-myself-update-page-13-a.html)

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-31-2007 07:04 AM

RE: Disgusted with myself

I also commend Greg but regardless of whom it is, someone will be the ethics police or the critic. I've posted such a thread a couple years ago. It didn't matter that the animal lived, a few felt it necessary to jump down my throat, mainly because of personal feelings rather than constructive criticism. I saw that animal later that season.

The animal in the recovery thread I mention at the top. I failed to stop him when I shot and hit him too far back, that's usually the case when shooting at moving animals because like shooting blue rock or upland birds, we fail to follow through. We stop to shoot, the animal does not and moves forward resulting in a bad hit or one farther back than we intend.

Today I stop all my animals or allow them to stop naturallly. I stop them as subtle as possible. If they are on alarm and drop at the shot, so be it, they may win that time. I don't hold low, that cost me a great buck when he didn't drop.....I rely on a quiet setup and my shooting ability. Again, if they "drop" out of the way, they win...if not, I win.

Dr Andy 10-31-2007 07:06 AM

Words of wisdom indeed!

huntingson 10-31-2007 07:15 AM

Gregh, you are a class act. Sincerely. You have as much experience as anyone on here and I respect you for it and for your honesty. I am sure you will find him and I cannot wait to see a picture of him.

Just as a side not I do not stop an animal inside 25 yards. I see no need to stop them. I am not perfect by any stretchand I do not mean to sound like I am telling you what to do. just telling you what I do. I personally would rather have them relaxed than stopped and on edge.

You are 100% correct. This is not target practice and so many variables can mess things up. All I know is that shot will absolutely kill that deer and you will absolutely find him.

bhunter50 10-31-2007 07:16 AM

DID YA FIND EM???? I think I speak for everyone, I don't feel like I can go onanymore without knowing!!!

buckhunter14 10-31-2007 07:20 AM

agreed bhunter50!!!!!!!!

RogueAtHeart 10-31-2007 07:36 AM

I'm no pro by any stretch, and to see someone as accomplished of a hunter as Greg make a post like that means a lot.

I trully appreciate the honesty, repect, and reverence you have for your game and your fellow hunters. Thank you for the post, and yet another lesson learned.

Best of luck to you this morning. I have faith that you'll find him!

HuntingBry 10-31-2007 07:45 AM

Greg, great point about continuously learning. There will never be a day when any of us can say we have learned all there is to know about bowhunting whitetails. To hear it from someone with your experience and the level of respect that you have here is a good reminder for all of us.

Good luck this morning finding that buck.

SparrowHawk 10-31-2007 07:49 AM

Greg you are truly a great hunter as far as accomplisments and ethics!! It shows that no one is perfect. Nobody can shoot like Robin Hood. This is real and sometimes we make mistakes beyond what we can control. I have faith in you and your experience, now go find that deer and put this in the past. Don't sweat it!

-Sparrow

GR8atta2d 10-31-2007 07:53 AM

Hey guys.he's out checking now..he'll update when he knows something..for now you'll have to stay tuned.

Maybe minutes, hours, or tomorrow. Rest assured Greg is doing all he can to take the needed time to make a successful recovery.

buckhunter14 10-31-2007 07:55 AM

Manhe is just trying tokill us.... Good luck Greg!!!!!