HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/214966-disgusted-myself-update-page-13-a.html)

GregH 10-30-2007 09:21 AM

Disgusted with myself (Update page 13!)

Guys, I had a great morning. In the first 2 hours on stand, I saw 7 deer. Five bucks, a doe and a button buck. The bucks were grunting and sniffing around like crazy. I saw 2 1 1/2s, 4 point and 7 point, the old 11 point from Sun. night, the 120" 8 point from Sun. morning and a real big 9 point I'd never saw before. The 9 point was real heavy and tall, 10 &11" tines but was kind of narrow. Maybe 15 - 16". I guessed him at about 147" with a 15" spread.

Now for the disgusting part. When the 9 showed up on the scene, I couldn't get him in the binos for nothing. I just saw great mass with tall tines. I tried the can call and the grunt call, nothing was working.[>:]

I was patient and waited, finally all of the deer moved off without busting me. This was a miracle because most of them came from behind me where the wind was blowing to. As most of you know, my only scent control is to wash my clothes in plain water and air dry them outside.

About 10 minutes later the 9 point was spotted off to my left and heading my way. I still hadn't gotten a good look at this deer but I grabbed my bow just in case. As he approached I noticed he had 5 on one side and possibly the other side as well. I knew he was in the bounds of my goal (upper 140s), and decided to shoot this deer. That's when my head had a massive failure. Because of what happened to me last year, I decided not to grunt stop him. Bad mistake! He was moving fairly fast when I shot and I hit him far back.[:o]It was an 18 yard shot, no follow through.[&o]

I hit him right in the middle and he bolted off into a thick bedding area. After 20 minuted of kicking myself in my treestand, I got down and retrieved my arrow. Weird thing was, there was no guts or green stomach contents on the arrow. It had no oder on it either. I quickly and quietly got out of there. I've decided to wait until tomorrow morning to go look for him so I don't push him out of the area.I hope he stayes in the brush and doesn't go into the corn. I also hope the coyotes don't make a meal out of him. Big lesson learned....STOP THEM FOR THE SHOT!

Wish me luck.... I'll need it

Signed
Dumb A$$

rybohunter 10-30-2007 09:27 AM

RE: Disgusted with myself

How high up/down on the deer? Middle there too? Good blood on the arrow? You should get solid liver. If you shot over his guts and got all liver, he's smoked. Good luck with him, Im sure you'll find him, just a matter of what condition he's in.

txjourneyman 10-30-2007 09:28 AM

Greg the buck I killed last week sounds like the same scenario. I hit him a bit far back. I took the shot without stopping him. He was close and I didn't want to spook him. The arrow had no green or smell, just good red blood. It turns out I hit 1 lung and the diaphram. He only went about 50 yds with an easy blood trail.

Germ 10-30-2007 09:28 AM

Greg if he was Qrt away a bit I bet you got the liver.

You know the jury is still out on stopping a deer with me. I think you will find him.

GregH 10-30-2007 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

How high up/down on the deer? Middle there too? Good blood on the arrow? You should get solid liver. If you shot over his guts and got all liver, he's smoked. Good luck with him, Im sure you'll find him, just a matter of what condition he's in.

I was 23' up, shot was 18 yards, placement looked middle-middle, slightly quarting away.

LebeauHunter 10-30-2007 09:30 AM

You'll get him. I have confidence in your tracking abilities. :D

How much can a non-running deer move on an 18 yard shot? Maybe you didn't hit him as far back as you think.

Germ 10-30-2007 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I was 23' up, shot was 18 yards, placement looked middle-middle, slightly quarting away.
Gregh deer is dead, I bet you go out right now and find him.

burniegoeasily 10-30-2007 09:32 AM

Aim forward, or stop them. Both of those tricks work for me. If a buck is acting nervous, Ill aim at the shoulder blade and shot, at the humorus. As long as he is just walking. If he is not nervous, ill grunt/bleet to stop him.

You will find him. ;)

MOmightymite 10-30-2007 09:32 AM

Greg, dont kick yourself too hard! What did the arrow look like? Was it covered in blood if it didnt have green slime on it? Could have been a liver shot. Either way I am sure you will find him! I wish you the best of luck recovering him!

buckhunter14 10-30-2007 09:33 AM

Good luck, I think conditions are well. I think you shall find him!

Montyo976 10-30-2007 09:33 AM

Sounds like Liver to me. I shot a doe early this year about mid body, and had the same thing on my arrow. Found her in about 70 yards. I'm sure he's down now go find him and post some pics.

Dr Andy 10-30-2007 09:34 AM

Greg, sorry to hear of the mishap/doubt. I hope you find him. I've been in this position myself and know what you're going through. I expect to hear the post of how you found him.

mobow 10-30-2007 09:36 AM

This is easy to say sitting here, but don't beat yourself up too badly. You have no idea how comforting it is, to me anyway, that a seasoned hunter such as yourself "messes up" once in a while.

You stated no guts or bad smell, but was there alot of blood on the arrow? I assume there was. I never feel too good about anything until I find the deer, so I know this nervousness you speak of......You'll find him though......I have faith in ya!

rybohunter 10-30-2007 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter
How much can a non-running deer move on an 18 yard shot? Maybe you didn't hit him as far back as you think.
Pretty darn far.

He's no rookie, he knows what he's doing, like he said he chose not to stop it, and brain lapsed on the follow thru. He'll find the deer, it hit the liver. It's just a matter of how squarely. The deer could be dead now, or it may take a couple hours.

Germ 10-30-2007 09:38 AM

What I have seen with liver hits is about 150-200 yds. The deer "drowns" to death. Chest cavaity fills with blood.

HammytheHunter 10-30-2007 09:38 AM

Good luck with the follow-up Greg. Like others have said, you're one of the very seasoned guys on the forum so we all hope it works out. I know I've had times where I thought I hit back further than I wanted and then once I found the deer, it turned out to be a pretty good shot. Keep us posted.

GMMAT 10-30-2007 09:43 AM

Greg:

I wanted to thank you for two things:

1) Coming here and telling us how it "Really" is out there, sometimes.

&

2) For not jumping my ass when I have messed up in the past.

I'm sorry your hit wasn't what you'd hoped for.....but I have a TON of faith that you know what you're doing. I have no experience with a hit such as you described, but I wish you all the luck in your recovery.

I hope we see you holding him, soon.

waiting_for_a_gift 10-30-2007 09:45 AM

Temps are going to top out around 60, I'd go out this afternoon and look. If you leave him overnight, very slim chance you'll have venison. Sounds like you definitely killed him, I know your broadheads are very sharp. Good luck Greg.

Vabowman 10-30-2007 09:49 AM

Sounds like he will be dead by now, if you shot him this morning, I would go and get him about 2:00pm. No guts, all liver, take about 2 hrs. to expire at the max. Go get your deer bro and post those pics. !!!

GR8atta2d 10-30-2007 09:53 AM

I also, applaud you coming here and telling the hard truth! Many of us look to you, as a seasoned vet with the wall of accomplishments to prove you know, of what you speak.

It happens to the best. However in this case I'm with Gary, this guy is smoked! Go in there at 4pm and get him!

Good Luck Greg, Good Luck!

mauser06 10-30-2007 09:54 AM

good luck Greg...looking forward to pics and story time...you know what your doing...im sure youll find him in the morning...

seems that we all are kinda up in the air about stopping them for the shot or not. i did it last year and he jumped the string and took my arrow high..this year i got lucky and he was stopped, even though looking back on it, he was looking at me, he didnt move at all..no set rule i guess....makes it hard in brushy woods like im typically in...got a couple lanes and gotta hope they stop in one of them...

good luck...maybe head out late this evening an hour or so before dark and listen for yotes, birds etc...if you hear them in the area you think hes in, head in there...they certainly wont be feeding on a live deer...

golfpro 10-30-2007 09:54 AM

If no sign of gut on the arrow he's down already. I'd go get him. Congrats

buckeye 10-30-2007 09:56 AM

There are some pretty large blood vessels throughout the liver..... You are a sharp guy,we allhave confidence in your decisions. I am sure the outcome will be positive.

Diesel77 10-30-2007 09:57 AM

Aww that deer is as good as steak Greg. Cant wait to see the pictures of him.

quiksilver 10-30-2007 10:02 AM

Greg - I'd say dead deer. One would think that, with a quartering shot, you probably at least clipped some liver, which will be his demise. You didn't push him at all, so I'd think he'll bed down within 200 yards - and it'll be Game Over.

Good luck buddy. I been there man. I know how it feels. There's nothing that anybody here is gonna say that's going to change the way you feel, or unlock some kind of a magic clue. You'll just have to give it a few hours, then get back out there and see what the if there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

For what it's worth, I'd say you've got a buck down. But then again, opinions are like buttholes - everybody's got one.

tsoc 10-30-2007 10:06 AM

Greg, I wish you the best in finding that deer!

HuntingBry 10-30-2007 10:11 AM

I agree with the others, it sounds like you got at least liver if not diaphragm, and liver. Either way that buck is dead. Hopefully, he expired quickly and it won't be a long track job. I think you should be able to find him.

I know it sucks, and know how you feel. Now you just have to put the shot behind you and focus on the recovery.

Good luck, I hope to see some pictures of it soon. :)

njbuck22 10-30-2007 10:13 AM

Greg, best of luck finding him, im sure he is dead with a ripped up liver. Cant wait to see the pics.

BowHuntingFool 10-30-2007 10:16 AM

I hope you find him, this heat today sucks! Supposed to be in the mid/high 60's! If you need help tracking I'm 20 miles to the north, let me know! I'd be glad to help ya look! Good luck!

nchawkeye 10-30-2007 10:20 AM

Good luck with him..I've hit a few too far back, last one went 50 yards with no blood until the last 25 or so, I caught the back of the lungs...

drhntr178 10-30-2007 10:24 AM

Greg, trust your instincts and start trailing him when you think the right amount of time has passed. Be persistent and good luck. Cant wait to see pics!

bigtim6656 10-30-2007 10:24 AM

good luck hope you get him

Gundeck 10-30-2007 10:24 AM

Good luck. You will find him. I wouldn't wait overnight, though.

in da woods 10-30-2007 10:38 AM

Greg, I agree with the others. From the angle of trajectory, I too think liver & possibly a major vessel & possibly a lung. He's out there, just find him. Post some pics so we can see.

MC Bowhunter 10-30-2007 10:40 AM

I would go out and look this evening. If you got liver the deer is dead. Leaving it out there for the coyotes is pretty risky. I think I would go look and see how the blood trail is. Even if you only got guts he would be pretty sick by this evening.

Darrall

shed33 10-30-2007 10:45 AM

Greg, I skipped through a lot of this post.. I may have missed it. How cold out is it?

Best of luck finding him.

Finch 10-30-2007 10:45 AM

Sorry to hear about that Greg. It sounds like you made a wise decision to wait until tomorrow. It stinks having to wait until then though. Thats the only thing you will think about until you find him. Good luck!

buttonbuckmaster 10-30-2007 10:58 AM

Good luck finding him Greg. Sounds like you got a good hit on him, I'm looking forward to pics.

BobCo19-65 10-30-2007 10:59 AM

Good luck and let us know how you make out in the morning.

MichaelHunsucker 10-30-2007 11:03 AM

Greg,

Thats a tough one man...i will RARELY shoot at deer without stopping them...i think ive done it once and i ended up gettin the back of the lungs luckily. I know that you had a bad experience with gruting at him to stop him, but its usually the best thing to do.

Dont beat yourself up too bad. It didnt sound like too bad of a shot. I think you should give him some time for sure and get back after him. From what you have said it sounds like he should bed up and expire. We can only hope anyway...

Good Luck!