Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail "tail" question >

Whitetail "tail" question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail "tail" question

Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Whitetail "tail" question

This post relates to something that happened this weekend. I'm sure some already know the story.

I notice a nice 8 pointer in the field about 150 yards out while on stand the other night. He was eating honeysuckles but I thought he was getting ready to make a scrape. I was thinking licking branch at the time.[&:]Anyway, I make several grunts until I got his attention. He was definitely interested and he made his way around the field edge into the woods that I was in. The whole time he was in my area...he had his tail straight up. No, he wasn't peeing or pooing or running on high alert.

Is this a sign of dominance, anger, or curiosity? Never seen this before unless a deer was "relieving" itself or running away.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Default RE: Whitetail "tail" question

I always thought it was an alert state, kind of sign. But with the way he was acting, I don't know, maybe dual purpose alert/curiosity sign?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. He certainly responded quickly when he thought there was another buck around. Strange.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

On alert they will put it up but also flare it....

I've seen this behavior in bucks before, specifically when called. It's a stimulated response, Also, I've seen it straight out and pumping....that's a very good sign you've stimulated them. I'm no biologist but to me, like taking flight, they are just showing themselfs...look at me....here I am.....I'm not tucked...etc...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

On alert they will put it up but also flare it....

I've seen this behavior in bucks before, specifically when called. It's a stimulated response, Also, I've seen it straight out and pumping....that's a very good sign you've stimulated them. I'm no biologist but to me, like taking flight, they are just showing themselfs...look at me....here I am.....I'm not tucked...etc...
Makes sense Rob. Well, hopefully I'll stimulate some more later this week. It was a pretty neat experience even though it didn't end the way I had planned.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 AM

this weekend I had a doe fawn doing the same thing. she was feeding in my back yard and she let me get really close, like 30 yards, then she would put her tail up and take these really high steps like if to say "don't mess with me." but she was only like 6 months old, haha.